does bamboo darken over time?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
i have been smoking a pipe now for about 10 years and i have a bamboo shanked moby dick from tom eltang and i could swear that the bamboo has changed color. it seems to have darkened. i like it. i am not sure how much darker it has become, maybe its just me. has anyone out there experienced this?

I personally do not own any pipes with a bamboo shank (would like to) but all of the older pipes with bamboo that I have seen, the bamboo has darkened with age. I do own some other things made with bamboo and they have all darkened with age.

My experience is that bamboo darkens and takes on a beautiful ivory patina as a pipe is smoked.

Thank you for the replys, gents! this forum is teaching me great deal! :!:

Yep- it darkens, I have some that have turned a dark yellowish color. It's a beautiful transformation!

All wood darkens, bamboo as well it can darked 1 of two ways; 1 oxidation if their is no coating to the bamboo if the wax has warn of the oxygen oxidizes it as in all woods the sames as your stem turns brown the second way is light light slowly changes the acids in the wood over time bamboo will changes eather two a darker yellow or a lightish brown depending on the woods starting acidity levels the higher they are to begin with the browner they will get.