Quantcast
  • ~ How to Use the New Software ~

Try logging in and if it is not accepting your password,, look to the bottom right corner of page for Contact Us and send a message.

Does nicotine strength diminish with age?

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

tin man

Reaction score
There was a very interesting thread right here about nicotine, cause of strength, Ph levels, and absorption rates. But now I am curious. Does nicotine strength diminish with age?

Will a high alkaline tobacco become less alkaline with age and therefore deliver a lesser nicotine hit? Or will the Ph go up or just stay the same? :scratch:

There are probably too many variables to generalize but I thought that I would ask.

A

Anonymous

I have noticed that both English and virginias seem to get milder in flavor and smoother with age. My guess is that nicotine lessens, too, but I ain't smoking any ropes to find out.

Justpipes

Reaction score
CP, I suspect that it doesn't have anything to do with the tobaccos age and has everything to do with your age. :shock: :lol:

A

Anonymous

Mark, there may be some truth to that. Also, Alfredo's mouth cleansing ritual is something to think about. Of course, one puff of Walnut makes all subsequent tastes seem superior.

slartie

Reaction score
I have a 40 year old burley that still packs a wallop. If this stuff has diminished in strength, good golly miss Molly I don't want to smoke it "fresh".

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Morn' All, I don't think so, i have some Dark flake coming up on 5 yrs, and some Gallaher's Irish rolls 50 yrs. old that will kick your Butt! :shock: Ken.
pacem en Puffing! :santa:

Mikem

Reaction score
I'm not sure if a blends "nicotine" hit diminishes with age or not. From my experience with cigars I would say that it does not. I have some "rope" pipe blends that having been aging for a couple of years now that still have one heck of a nicotine hit. I think that age does influence pipe blends by helping to meld the different tobaccos in the blend together and remove some of the harshness of a blend (blends with Turkish tobaccos in them for instance). It also seems to sweeten (I hope that is the proper term) a blend with a lot of Virginia's in them.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Ken sampled me with 57 g of Gallaher's Irish Rolls.

It was equal in strength to GH Brown Irish X, maybe greater.