Does nicotine strength diminish with age?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tin man

Reaction score
There was a very interesting thread right here about nicotine, cause of strength, Ph levels, and absorption rates. But now I am curious. Does nicotine strength diminish with age?

Will a high alkaline tobacco become less alkaline with age and therefore deliver a lesser nicotine hit? Or will the Ph go up or just stay the same? :scratch:

There are probably too many variables to generalize but I thought that I would ask.

I have noticed that both English and virginias seem to get milder in flavor and smoother with age. My guess is that nicotine lessens, too, but I ain't smoking any ropes to find out.

CP, I suspect that it doesn't have anything to do with the tobaccos age and has everything to do with your age. :shock: :lol:

Mark, there may be some truth to that. Also, Alfredo's mouth cleansing ritual is something to think about. Of course, one puff of Walnut makes all subsequent tastes seem superior.

I have a 40 year old burley that still packs a wallop. If this stuff has diminished in strength, good golly miss Molly I don't want to smoke it "fresh".

Morn' All, I don't think so, i have some Dark flake coming up on 5 yrs, and some Gallaher's Irish rolls 50 yrs. old that will kick your Butt! :shock: Ken.
pacem en Puffing! :santa:

I'm not sure if a blends "nicotine" hit diminishes with age or not. From my experience with cigars I would say that it does not. I have some "rope" pipe blends that having been aging for a couple of years now that still have one heck of a nicotine hit. I think that age does influence pipe blends by helping to meld the different tobaccos in the blend together and remove some of the harshness of a blend (blends with Turkish tobaccos in them for instance). It also seems to sweeten (I hope that is the proper term) a blend with a lot of Virginia's in them.

Ken sampled me with 57 g of Gallaher's Irish Rolls.

It was equal in strength to GH Brown Irish X, maybe greater.