Does tobacco ever actually spoil?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
I've read plenty of accounts of decades-old blends that have evolved into something magical while others seem to lose much of their punch.

What I'm curious about is this: If properly sealed (tin, mason jar, whatever) will good tobacco EVER go bad? Is there an expiration date? If I hermetically sealed up a bunch of FVF would it still be smokeable if I left it to my great-grandson? I'm not asking about any particular TYPE of tobacco, but I'm assuming a Va or Va-Per would be the best candidate here.

Evidently Va's just continue to get better over decades - & I'd imagine Vapers as well. I understand that Lat blends peak at about a decade & then lose their oomph. Burleys don't age much at all due to their low sugar content. Hermetically sealed tobacco should not spoil.

"Spoil" pretty much presupposes mold. If mold gets into it, spoilage is assured.

Otherwise, tins developing rusted-through holes (sometimes too tiny to notice) or losing their seals will dry out what's inside.

Otherwise, except for Virginias and Virginias "seasoned" with some other tobacco (cigar leaf, Perique), they'll gradually fade away beyond a certain point from sheer age-related changes.

If you're planning on leaving some FVF for your young grandson, go with mason jars and new lids (not re-used ones).

:face:

I always assume that tobacco contains dormant mold spores. Even those that are steamed and stoved will have viable spores (as evidenced by cigars that are processed basically the same and can erupt into mold). So I always avoid high-temperatures with all of my stored tobacco and cigars. Jarred tobacco is likely more safe since it should eventually establish an anaerobic atmosphere which is not conducive to mold. However, tins, boxes, any other factory packaging all resides in hard plastic Coleman coolers down in the depths of my basement. Same for my cigar collection.

Muddler":kfg0dh34 said:
Evidently Va's just continue to get better over decades - & I'd imagine Vapers as well. I understand that Lat blends peak at about a decade & then lose their oomph. Burleys don't age much at all due to their low sugar content. Hermetically sealed tobacco should not spoil.
Actually, no less an authority than GL Pease (plus lots of others, myself included) will argue that burlies DO age, just not as dramatically as Virginias.

I don't think I clearly explained my question. I'm aware of the aging potential of the various types of tobacco -- I'm not asking if x type of blend will benefit from aging. I'm curious as to whether tobacco will eventually go bad, and if so what that threshold is (if anyone actually knows at this point)?

I'm not planning on aging anything for that long long -- I'm just curious.

It's a plant, bound by inevitable decomposition. Granted, it's been processed into various forms and tinned in atmospheric conditions designed to give it a good long shelf life, but yes it will eventually decompose. At some point there will be a change that will be beneficial to the smoker as the tobacco will get "Better", a breakdown and change in the original composition that makes it more palatable, but at some point too will come change that will make it "Worse" for the smoker as it begins to degrade into worthlessness.

The 10 year mark seems like a mean line where certain tobaccos begin a rapid decline and others a slow decline. Virginias and Burleys may go 10 years or more over that line, but I've smoked a lot of these tobaccos at or near that 10 year point and you can tell that they are either near their optimum peak or just beyond it. I've smoked some 20 year plus tobaccos that were still OK but not as good as 12 or 14 year old tobaccos of the same nature. Latakia blends seem to decline the quickest. Aros I won't even comment on as they suck at all points in the time line :lol:

I'd try to cellar straight Virginia flakes to no more than the 2 decade mark. A good cubed burley to 2 decades plus. I'm actually working on this at present and am building my cellar for the future on this principle. I expect to be smoking nothing but old burleyweed when I'm in my 70's 8)

Where is Gandalf on this issue, I think he had gotten a 100 year old container of virginia and it was good from what he said.

St Fiacre":l1z7ucoy said:
Where is Gandalf on this issue, I think he had gotten a 100 year old container of virginia and it was good from what he said.
I speak on behalf of Gandalf here!!!
He gifted me some of that 100 yr old Burley and it was good. He did mention that he needed to hydrate it when he cracked the seal!!
Most of you posted good info here I have nothing more to add!

I had an open tin of Cross-Eyed Cricket that developed a green mold.
Called C&D & Patty answered the phone & shipped me a new tin in 2 days.

Funn

Natch":8e1fafvd said:
I've had some aged bulk mold on me (Penzance) but never a "sealed" tin. Even one with a breached seal seems to dry out, not mold.

Natch
Good to Know Natch, I am on your Dunnie 965 now, wow Lat at that age becomes a different animal all together, Dang bro, it's brilliant!!

Piet Binsbergen":xs1d9jrd said:
Natch":xs1d9jrd said:
I've had some aged bulk mold on me (Penzance) but never a "sealed" tin. Even one with a breached seal seems to dry out, not mold.

Natch
Good to Know Natch, I am on your Dunnie 965 now, wow Lat at that age becomes a different animal all together, Dang bro, it's brilliant!!
Piet having the exact same here, Natch, Piet gifted me some of that, thanks guys. It's really good stuff, awesome in fact! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

bluedigital":v956d4o5 said:
Piet Binsbergen":v956d4o5 said:
Natch":v956d4o5 said:

Natch
Piet having the exact same here, Natch, Piet gifted me some of that, thanks guys. It's really good stuff, awesome in fact! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Damn Natch, your'e getting around bro!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: