DONE: Synjeco Group Buy: SG FV, RB, St James Plugs, Schürch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please ping me when you are ready. Interested but need to do some homework to see what the reviews are saying.

Do any of the Samuel Gawith or Gawith & Hoggarth blends come without the Lakeland topping?

Here is the updated info I received regarding shipping costs:

From 1-2kg we would be looking at just under $50.00, but I have a feeling that the total order will more than likely be more than 2kg from the interest I have received.

2-5kg is $104.00 and 5-10g is $152.00. I'm guessing the total order would be falling in the 2-5kg range. This is just the shipping cost to get it stateside. Shipping to each individual would happen after the entire shipment arrives, but that shouldn't add more than $5-10 depending on how much is ordered. The last expense is a wire transfer fee, which should be no more than $20-25. Even with shipping and wire transfer fee, pricing works out to about $13.50 / 50g (using pricing on the SG VA plugs as an example. Schürch bulk pricing works out roughly the same) and this is prior to any discounts we may be eligible for due to the size of the order.

The best way I can think of to split shipping fairly would be to determine the shipping cost per gram and calculate each person's shipping contribution based upon how much they order. The wire transfer fee would be split evenly among all participants in the group buy.

Currently, I have about 8 others interested and we are still shooting for the end of January to allow people to recoup from the holidays. Those who are wanting to get in on the group buy, please send me specifics on what/how much you would like to order within the next 7-10 days or so. This way I can send the total amount over to them and find out if we can get a discounted rate before having anyone send any funds. Anyone wanting to join in, please PM me with the same info, and we will get this moving along!

(Obvious) Question: I'm guessing anything we order needs to be in the increments listed on the website, yes? As in, if I want to try the St. James Plug and the Full Virginia Plug, I have to order a 250g box of each, rather than a lesser amount? I ask because if possible, I'd rather have 125g plug of each, so's to not break the bank on trying two blends...so assuming the answer to this query, might anyone be willing to go halfsies on boxes of the FVP and SJP?

GrampaGrossbart":392ng8p6 said:
(Obvious) Question: I'm guessing anything we order needs to be in the increments listed on the website, yes? As in, if I want to try the St. James Plug and the Full Virginia Plug, I have to order a 250g box of each, rather than a lesser amount? I ask because if possible, I'd rather have 125g plug of each, so's to not break the bank on trying two blends...so assuming the answer to this query, might anyone be willing to go halfsies on boxes of the FVP and SJP?
Yeah, the SG plugs only come in 250g boxes. We'd have to do the split on our end if anyone wanted to go in together like that.

GrampaGrossbart":j7f912rd said:
send me a pm I may be interested, just not sure about my funds

rev

PM sent. I'm in for one 250g package each of St. James Plug and FV Plug.

By the way, I bought a lot of Three Nuns from Synjeco in the 90's. Very good people to deal with. Never had anything to complain about.

Rev - PM Sent

taharris & Wet Dottle - Got you guys down on the list

So far, including myself we have 4 people that are for sure and the total weight is currently at 2650g

taharris":tj89rnfe said:
PM Sent.

I'm in for a package of RB Plug.  It sounds dangerous and I like a challenge. :twisted: 

Todd
It does sound tempting (as does the Kendal Plug), but 250 g is a lot of tobacco when I've tried neither.  I'll think about it another day or two and PM what I decide

edit: PM sent

Got DrT999 and GrampaGrossbart added to the list! Total weight is up to 3100g so far!

Update: 8 going in on this and weight is up to 3600g! Going to give folks until the end of this week before sending the final totals to Synjeco for a quote.

After this week I'll be reaching out to folks for mailing addresses, additional contact info, etc to start figuring up our domestic shipping while waiting on the quote from Synjeco.

nismo - I hope I didn't miss the info in the thread - are your shipping weight calculations for just the tobacco, or for the total gross weight including containers?

hp
les

lestrout":hjpe82i4 said:
nismo - I hope I didn't miss the info in the thread - are your shipping weight calculations for just the tobacco, or for the total gross weight including containers?

hp
les
Les - the weights I have been posting is just the weight of the tobacco.  When I initially asked Synjeco about shipping costs, they quoted me in terms of how much tobacco in the order would be $xx.xx for shipping and from what I can tell, that's how it's listed on their website. When I send in the total order for a quote I'll get the shipping estimate then from then.

We still have 8 folks going in on this, but the updated total weight is now 4,350g! If anyone else wants in, please PM me by the end of the week. I'm trying to keep the total weight under 5kg to keep from getting bumped up into the next shipping bracket ($48 more). Thanks!

Yo nis - I can be flexible and help fill in the rest of the make-weight box. Likewise, if anyone needs a pal to split a sleeve or plug, I'm pretty open to a lot of blends (aka tobacco slut).

hp
les

Just a quick update. I sent the total order over to Daniel on the 14th and am still awaiting the quote. Checking back through my emails, each response seemed to have taken right around 7 days. I sent a follow up email to him earlier today to make sure he got the email with the order requesting a quote. I'll keep you all posted!

Update! Received word back regarding our order. They were able to give us 10% off on the SG plugs, so they ended up being 45CHF per 250g brick. The insured shipping is going to be 107CHF which works out to 0.23CHF per gram (about $0.26USD per gram). I'll split up the international shipping based on grams ordered, as this is the most fair way I can see to do it.

Les - I sent a PM, but if you're still wanting to pick something up, we can still add about 300-350g before hitting the next shipping tier. If you were to get a 250g brick of FV Plug, SJ Plug, or RB plug the discount would apply (250g for around $50USD).

mejoshee - please PM me to confirm what I have for your order and I still need your shipping address and contact info, thanks!

As far as submitting payment to them we have three options: International wire transfer, bank check/money order, or American Express. Unfortunately, I do not have an American Express card and I just checked with my bank and there is a $45 fee for outgoing international transfers. Synjeco also said their bank charges a fee for wire transfers, so I'm waiting to hear back how much that would be. Sending a physical money order or check there is an additional $25 fee, which would be cheapest overall. I don't mind taking care of the wire transfer or sending a money order, but if someone that's participating has an American Express that would be willing to help out, we can avoid the fees. Currently, sans AmEx the money order would be the cheapest option. Money orders from walmart are like $0.70 last time I checked, so it would just be that plus the $25 fee.

I will be PMing folks with their tentative totals including both international and domestic shipping this evening. If anyone has an AmEx that may be able to help out, shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Received word on their wire transfer fees. I misread the info from a previous email. For wire transfers, their bank does not charge them a fee to receive, so it would be $45 fee on our end. Wire transfer would obviously be quickest and safest. I didn't take into consideration the cost of mailing the money order either. To send it insured, international priority, it's going to just about equal out. The cost of the wire transfer would end up being around $7 per person, so for the safety and speed factor, I think this would be our best option short of using an AmEx. If anyone isn't okay with this, please let me know. When I send out totals this evening, it will contain the split wire transfer fee. If we do end up finding an AmEx to use, I can always refund the amount for the wire transfer.

Great, thanks for the update, and for putting everything together--very much obliged!