Don't go from pouch to jar if you value your tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Just a word of warning to my brothers and sisters. It's fine to go from tobacco jar to pouch but not from pouch to jar.

I had to throw out about three ounces of Embarcadero today as it had gone mouldy, the only thing I can think that caused this is I had some of the Embarcadero in a pouch the other month and forgot about it.

When I found the pouch a few weeks ago, of course it was dry as a dead dingo's donger. I thought to rehydrate it by putting it back in my Embarcadero jar, big mistake. I felt like a pipe of it this morning and opened the jar to fill my bowl to find about half an inch of fuzzy grey white mould on top. I was not impressed as barc has become one of my favourites of late with its complexity.

Oh well off to SP to order some more, here's hoping it passes through customs.

Cheers all,

Tim

Really sorry to hear this happened. We work hard for our money and seeing things like that happening is frustrating.

Bummer.

Thankfully, I haven't had a problem with rehydration & mold forming in jars.

I try to keep everything that I am currently smoking in a bail top jar or in the original tin. I gave up on tobacco pouches and/or ziplock bags years ago. I find that the 2oz GLP/C&D/McClelland style tins with the plastic lids are perfect for storing tobacco that I am currently smoking, as long as I am committed to smoking the entire content of the tin in a relatively reasonable time frame. I have been smoking from a tin of Union Square and a tin of Fillmore for the last 2 months and the tobacco is still in perfect smoking condition. Of course results may vary with climate. :afro:

That is frustrating news indeed.

My current strategy is to keep the baccy in the original tins, and with the 4 or 5 I have open, I keep these together in a large sealed tuppaware box. I have to say that, due to the variety of blends that I have open, the smell upon opening that tuppaware container is nothing short of exquisite.

Hope you have better luck in the future old bean.

Wow, I've never had that happen but must say I'm rethinking my ways now to make sure I can't somehow infect "the mother ship" with anything foreign. I appreciate the heads up, and sorry about your experience.

RobJ":vohexpqi said:
Wow, I've never had that happen but must say I'm rethinking my ways now to make sure I can't somehow infect "the mother ship" with anything foreign. I appreciate the heads up, and sorry about your experience.
Ditto! News to me as well.

It cannot be stressed enough to keep clean. If you introduced moisture into the tobacco before jarring, the first questions would be...........

Was the water distilled and clean?

Were the instruments handling the tobacco clean? (hands, funnels, etc)

My best advice, (personally), would be to jar your products as they are, without any personal enhancements. When you wish to consume them, if they are dry, moisturize. If they are damp, well, set them out for a time. Most commercial weeds are packaged to retard such behavior you described.

2 pennies. Spend them as you will....

In 40 + years of smoking I've NEVEr had anything like that happen ! Check your 'baccy as something may be off with it regardless what it's stored in !! That's a new one on me !! :twisted:

Thanks for the responses guys, I can only presume I had some nasties on my hands when I put the dried tobacco from the pouch back into the jar as the jar had been fine for a month or two prior. I'm normally pretty OCD about washing them but may have not done so before putting it away.

I've moved on from pouches to using spare GLP tins for carrying tobac around in as they've got a better chance of keeping it hydrated.

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps.

Tim

monbla256":95j6lofq said:
In 40 + years of smoking I've NEVEr had anything like that happen ! Check your 'baccy as something may be off with it regardless what it's stored in !! That's a new one on me !! :twisted:
:cyclops:

These little Ball, wide-mouth 4 oz jars hold exactly one tin, cheap at Walmart (in the US). The only downside is they don't stack nicely.

480_2_0_0.JPG

riff raff":h7sh22qs said:
These little Ball, wide-mouth 4 oz jars hold exactly one tin, cheap at Walmart (in the US).  The only downside is they don't stack nicely.

480_2_0_0.JPG

Yes, I really like these jars as well, and no they don't stack nicely at all... I crafted a shelf system to fit them in what used to be a sock drawer....

Smirk

I prefer the pint jars. They stack nicely. Of course, that means if you buy tinned weed you will need to buy twice as much to fill them. Now there is a TAD incentive right there, yes?