Dorchester and Dunbar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to get a few ounces of both of these blends, and wow! If I could smoke these every day, I would no doubt load my pipe with them every morning! (These blends are a great first pipe of the day).The Dunbar is smooth and has a deep roundness to it, which took me by surprise because it is mostly bright leaf... and the Dorchester has a beautiful tingle from char light to finish, and a nice lingering sweetness that is more prevalent than the Dunbar. And it is also slightly spicy, which Dunbar is not.

Now I know everyone says Dorchester has less perique than Dunbar, but I have to disagree... to my tastes it is clearly the spicier blend and the simple eye test tells me that it has more perique than Dunbar. And the Virginia's in Dorchester seem to be a slightly finer cut, lending itself to an excellent burn from start to finish.

Wondering what you guys think, and does anyone else out there believe Dorchester has a greater quantity of perique, like I do? If I had to pick one, I'd go with Dorchester, but Dunbar is also excellent... exactly what I look for in everyday pipe blends. Wish I had more...

-Nate

I do prefer Dorchester over Dunbar, I think Dorchester also has a fresh baked bread taste with fruity under tones. Dunbar certainly has an earthy tone to it which Dorchester doesn't but, that's just my opinion. . ;)

Good description of Dorchester, Ron. I think there's a lot going on there and while I like that earthiness of Dunbar Dorchester is my preference.