Douglas Bader

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Thought I'd share this with you chaps.

For those of you who haven't heard of him, Douglas Bader was one of our finest WWII fighter pilots (RAF).  He lost both his legs due to pilot error and, not to be deterred, learnt to walk on his 'tin legs' and then fly again.  Shot down over Europe he eventually ended up in the infamous Colditz after proving himself to be rather tiresome to his German captors.  

The following link takes you to BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs programme during which guests are invited to pick their favourite records to play.  The guest in this episode, recorded in '81, was none other than Bader.

Lovely to listen to this RAF legend and thoroughly decent type.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009mthn

While a POW, Bader needed new "legs!" Germans had such respect for him, PITA that he was, they allowed a British aircraft to enter their airspace unmolested and paradrop a new set of legs for him!! One hell of a guy!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":mwtrz3yr said:
While a POW, Bader needed new "legs!" Germans had such respect for him, PITA that he was, they allowed a British aircraft to enter their airspace unmolested and paradrop a new set of legs for him!! One hell of a guy!! :cheers: FTRPLT
Crazy, eh?! And, even crazier, whilst in Colditz Bader made a failed escape attempt. From then on, the Germans confiscated his legs each night.

Definitely one of the most inspirational pilots of WWII. His name has always stuck with me because we had a drink at the pub named in his honor the last time we visited my grandmother in the UK.