Downsized!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I got downsized today. I am too old and got paid too much. Now some young engineer has two jobs to do and I will have more time to make pipes.

Corporate America sucks. :(

On the up side my turn around time on pipe orders just went down.

Todd

Too old at 47?!? Oh dear, my time is coming faster than I thought!

That's hard news to take, Todd, but it sounds like you've got the right perspective - everything is an opportunity if you look at it the right way. Enjoy "retirement" in your workshop!

ontariopiper":p321ji6b said:

That's hard news to take, Todd, but it sounds like you've got the right perspective - everything is an opportunity if you look at it the right way. Enjoy "retirement" in your workshop!
If only...

If I could afford health insurance I might consider it.

But I have two kids in college and one in grade school. It's back to corporate America for me.

Hopefully my workshop time will just be an extended vacation.

Todd

taharris":oyy9pyse said:
ontariopiper":oyy9pyse said:

If only...

If I could afford health insurance I might consider it.

But I have two kids in college and one in grade school.  It's back to corporate America for me.

Hopefully my workshop time will just be an extended vacation.

Todd
I hear you. I've got one at university an one in high school too. Somehow the tuition never pays itself! All the best getting back into the grind. I'm pinning my hopes on a lotto win - it's about the only way I'll get to retire at any age!

taharris":615wes6u said:
I got downsized today.  I am too old and got paid too much. Now some young engineer has two jobs to do and I will have more time to make pipes.

Corporate America sucks.  :(

On the up side my turn around time on pipe orders just went down.

Todd
Crapola Todd, that's the sad world we're living in today. Get rid of the experienced ones and hire some young buck for half the wage and expect them to perform to your level. Makes no sense to me.

Hopefully you'll land on your feet soon. Best wishes, and keep on knocking out those great pipes!

Cheers,

RR

I recall being told several times over the years that the only security one has is a stable job with Big Corps. Hell, your credit is effected whether you are self employed or work for a company.

The days of getting a gold watch from retiring at the scissor factory are loooooong gone. Schools are pumping out doctorate holders that are lucky to find work asking if I want fries with my sandwich in the drive-thu window. Yuppers, pretty sad...

Sorry to hear of another person being shoved off the ladder to make room for cheaper help. Experience counts for naught these days.

Have you considered consulting work? Good money in well informed opinions...

Best of luck on your new ventures, and remember, no matter how hard you try, things do work out!!

They ask everything from us. People lose their couples, families and health over their jobs.
And not only do their employer not even recognize the sacrifices ; but they will demand more. And then, sack you at the first convenient financial opportunity.

Damn! More competition :fpalm:

All kidding aside Todd, that really SUCKS!!!!!!! Hope you told them what they can do with there company.
At least gave the one finger salute.
Hey, good times are just around the corner old man, have faith. ;)

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support.

They gave me a decent severance package, but it still hurts.

I have no desire to uproot my family and relocate. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Todd

Sorry to hear that Todd.
Hope it's only a blip and you're back in employment soon.
Best of luck for the future.

Adam

Hope you find something else soon..Wishing you the best.

The world we live in today is a challenge, at the end you will come out on top!! I wish you all the best with life's endeavors, good luck and you will be back on that corporate ladder in no time. So for now do what you enjoy the most. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Sucks to hear that, brother. I hope you find an even better gig soon.

Sorry to hear about your situation Todd. Best of luck moving forward brother.

Brewdude":6l8oiqcg said:
taharris":6l8oiqcg said:
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm starting to get bites already, so maybe there is hope.

Todd
And there ya go! Always a light at the end of the tunnel!  

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR
Yes there is a light, but with my luck it will turn out to be a train.  :|