drink of choice while smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My drink of choice with a pipe is Scotch. While I prefer rich 12+ year old De Luxe blends over 1 or 2 ice cubes, my wallet often demands that I drink younger blends (Teachers is a steal for the price) usually on the rocks with just a splash of soda water. During the week, with work coming far too early in the morning, I usually drink iced tea when I smoke. I find the darjeeling, earl grey and oolong work well with a pipe.

I know that Latakia blends and peated scotch is an obvious pairing but I often enjoy a dram of Laphroaig while smoking VA and VApers. I like how the leathery, smokey campfire contrasts the spicy/sweet of a good matured VA or VAper.

Lighter VA/burley blends like OGS and Best brown are excellent with a bit of the Balvenie Doublewood (enhances the honey note IMO)

And I also love a good IPA, either Stone or Sierra Nevada, with some of the Lakeland flakes and blends. I love the "soapy" and "floral" notes and to me a good IPA should have a certain "fine soap" and "floral" taste as well

CarterHallJunkie":011olh57 said:
PipeLeisure":011olh57 said:
Ardbeg whiskey with any English blend.
Never had Ardbeg - nice? smooth?
I'm a fan of Ardbeg, but smooth isn't the first adjective that comes to mind. I like my whiskies smoky and pungent, and whether a whisky is smooth or not is a secondary consideration for me. It's been a while since I've last had a glass (I have an unopened bottle waiting for a special occasion.) but I don't remember it being particularly smooth.

PipeLeisure":011olh57 said:
Well it's no Johney Walker Blue but it's a nice dram for the money if you now what I'm saying....Lol
Indeed. Actually, if we had to split a Johnnie Walker Blue and an Ardbeg on some desert island exile, I'd be happy to let you make off with the Blue Label, if I could keep the Ardbeg for myself. However, I will give Blue Label credit for being one of the few whiskies I would characterize as simultaneously smooth and smoky.

Sorry to veer off topic, I'm still a no-drinking-while-smoking kind of guy.

I'm out of Ardbeg at the moment and need to get some more, I just get the 10 year...that's good enough for me @ $68 a bottle.

Non-spirited drinks are but two: coffee (9 out of 10 times in the morning) or Jasmine green tea (9 out of 10 times in the evening).

Beer...well, my signature gives a hint. Porters and stouts as well.

Straights...bourbons or scotches. I find wine to heavy on the pallet (red, that is..can't see myself smoking to a white).

I'm all about matching the drink to the smoke with alcohol.

I find that the green tea works with everything, though, so that gets the most mileage. Two cups tonight with my Escudo.

Scotch or Bourbon with a pipe or cigar. Sometimes a Budweiser with a cigar is my go to. That is what I had tonight.

Oooo Oooo... this is the part I like...

...so, my darker tobacco blends seem to go nicely with my Glenlivet 18. Recently, I bought, on a whim, a bottle of High West Double Rye, and it's super spicy...great for mellow and thick aromatics smokes. I get lost on my porch with those two, it's like meditation! :D I've been experimenting a LOT with rye whiskey lately, Bullet being another I plan on adding to the collection soon.

My burley blends (especially with the Virginias mixed in) like the beers, especially some of the German smokebeers I've been getting into. A brewer called "Mikkeller" has this high-end malt liquor that works well here, too...very malty flavors off of the complex lighter smokes.

Tinder Box makes a blend called "Royal Estate" that goes extremely well with espresso, I just find too much of a "nicotine high" with it usually, which is a shame... it tastes great, but I get the shakes (with or without the espresso!)--so I switched over to a more sour, cranberry mix they have called U-Got-It, which is the second best. This is also where I like the Nording Retriever, over a properly-pulled cappuccino.

Either Coke Zero, Diet Dr. Pepper, or iced tea, depending on blend. Once in a while a mojito. :study:

Truth to tell: nothing can beat a good iced tea when the time calls for it. 8)

I find rainwater Madeira works nicely with Carter Hall and latakia blends. (Most other madeiras would be too sweet for me, although if I ever get a bottle of Sercial, it will be fun to experiment)

for a non alcoholic drink I like a 50-50 mix of black and green iced tea, but most of the time it's Newcastle, Guinness or Scotch.

While the main staple is coffee, there are certain spirits I find very complimentary to certain blends. :D