Dry Snuff versus Moist Snuff?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlyn3837

Reaction score
Soooo, here I am once again seeking the collective knowledge and wisdom of the BoB forum! I was sent a sample of moist snuff in a large shipment of cigars at my shop. Is moist snuff also take through the nose or does a pinch go in cheek?

Help me and let me know what the deal is with the moist snuff!

Pinches of moist snuff and dip go in the lower lip.

Also, chew (redman) plug (days o work) and twist (cotton boll) go in the cheek and loose or pouch snus goes in the top lip.

Jevverrett":cixw4lvr said:
Pinches of moist snuff and dip go in the lower lip.

Also, chew (redman) plug (days o work) and twist (cotton boll) go in the cheek and loose or pouch snus goes in the top lip.
Okay, good! That's what I thought but I didn't want to mess with it til I knew what I was doing.

Gotta love phraseology especially with tobacco products. Sounds like an oral product you got a sample of. A number of the dry (nasal) snuffs are used orally as well so yeah best to cover your bases and be sure of what you've got.

Jim

Indeed. Btw, as a social commentary. I’ve met women who dip, and whatever, you know? Usually it’s a little pinch, and not a crazy amount of spit. (YouTube country Kansas, she’s a dip chic) But not many who chew, as it’s not ladylike to spit a 3ft stream of jet black tobacco juice. I don’t care if she drives an 18 wheeler. Also, it gets all over your chin no matter how you do it lol. The tendency for me with chew is to cram just about as much as will fit in there. Good thing I don’t chew often haha, drives my wife nuts if she sees it.

Yeah, it's kind of tricky.

The thing his, in the nasal snuff world, there dry and moist snuffs (relatively speaking), but anything marketed as "moist snuff" is almost certainly for oral use.

If there's any doubt left, do you have a brand name of what you were sent?

idbowman":s6u4sxsb said:
Yeah, it's kind of tricky.

The thing his, in the nasal snuff world, there dry and moist snuffs (relatively speaking), but anything marketed as "moist snuff" is almost certainly for oral use.

If there's any doubt left, do you have a brand name of what you were sent?
It was "Makla" I believe. And it definitely says moist snuff on it.

Aaaaaaahhhh...Makla's kind of an odd bird.

It's certainly for oral use and not a nasal snuff - it's more similar to Swedish snus in that you're meant to use it in your upper lip, but a little like American dip in that it does create a need to spit (nowhere near as much as dip, though). It's popular in northern Africa, but I think there's only one European company manufacturing for sale (I could be very wrong about that, though).

There are a few varieties of Makla (I've tried two). They have a VERY strong, ammoniated tin aroma that can be off-putting if you don't care for that (if you've had them, think NSTU snuff). The actual flavor is pretty understated, though, considering the smell out of the tin. Kind of like a mild, naturally fermented tobacco taste with a bit soil. It's not bad - but more for the dipper/snusser looking to try something new.

Oh - and they pack an ENORMOUS nicotine wallop.

If it is the loose snus, you have to pack it with your fingers into a pill shaped lump. Think 800mg ibuprofen size maybe. And it is very strong nic wise. Where did you get it, mr snuff? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in a store

Jevverrett":h8wejsw9 said:
Where did you get it, mr snuff? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in a store
Good question - I'm not the biggest fan of Makla, but considering I can't find loose snus anywhere domestically, or anything other than General, I'm curious as to whether or not they're trying to establish a retail sales presence here.

(Not that I have a problem with General - some of their blends are quite nice. But variety is the spice of life!)

Jevverrett":nwp0gdhn said:
If it is the loose snus, you have to pack it with your fingers into a pill shaped lump. Think 800mg ibuprofen size maybe. And it is very strong nic wise. Where did you get it, mr snuff? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in a store
I received a whole display with samples for free from Phillips & King. I didn't ask for it and didn't even know it was coming. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I don't know how I feel about the whole spitting part...

Lol. Yeah the whole spitting thing is sort of a big turn off for most folks. Personally I prefer nasal snuff so there is no issue of "Ewwwww gross!"

Jim

huffelpuff":qpknjtsn said:
Lol. Yeah the whole spitting thing is sort of a big turn off for most folks. Personally I prefer nasal snuff so there is no issue of "Ewwwww gross!"

Jim
Talk about GROSS, I know this guy who chews, especially when he is driving his white truck. Yes, you guessed it, when he spits out the window, he misses and there are brown stains down the driver's door! EWWWW!
:roll: