Dublin Pipe Gone Wrong

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
This is my 7th pipe so far and lord what a headache, I though 7 was a lucky number?
Anyway, this turd started out as a Dublin that I was going to put a Military mount on because the block was too small to support a shank that I thought was long enough. Somewhere along the way it became a Freehand Dublin Military mount. So far so good, not bad but, that didn't last long. While taking the final cut on the shank my lathe bit grabbed suddenly and snapped a 1/2" off the completed shank. Well, after it had quieted down I figured it's just gona have to be even shorter and went on. Did it stop there? Oh No, while shaping it on the wheel about 4 -5 large pits show up. I decided to fill them cause how deep they were and looked around the shop and seen some CA glue, Black and Clear. Did he grab the clear, hell no, thought I'd see what it looked like with black. Well I can tell ya, it looks like crap. Anyway, here's this sad number 7pipe for your perusal and hopefully a good laugh. :fpalm: Well, maybe it aint that bad, you can smoke the the dad burn thing, just don't look to close at it. ;)

I'll be the first to say, that it really doesn't look all that bad. Personally I like the black fills.

Okay, so it's a Ron's Pipes second, and more experience. It doesn't look that bad to me, and if it smokes well then it all worked out. :)

DrumsAndBeer":4unh1sgc said:
I'll be the first to say, that it really doesn't look all that bad. Personally I like the black fills.
Me too! I like 'em fine. It's a fetching look to me. Just call them contrast fills and you're an innovator!

I'd smoke it! Great looking pipe Ron, your skills are better than you allow!

Despite the pits it still looks fine to me Ron. The overall shape is great and it looks like it'll be a fine smoker.

One has to wonder how may times noted artisans have encountered pits while in these stages, and how they dealt with them. Just the nature of the briar. Surely not all blocks turn out to be free of flaws.

Don't be so tough on yourself, you did real good.

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Other than a shape which works PERFECTLY with the grain of that eubuchon, PERFECT plateau rim, Metal ferrull / mil bit stem work which Peterson would die for and two fills that will gradually even out as the briar darkens, I really don't know why you even showed it to us !! I mean REALLY  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cool looking to me...........

How DO you get such a nice shine on that? I could shave in that reflection.......

Thank you again guys, much appreciated

Monbla, then don't look at'em anymore.

OW, If I told ya....I'd have to eliminate ya.
Naw! It's fairly simple, a lot sanding, buffing and waxing and this one isn't that good, I missed a couple of places and didn't notice till I waxed the dadburn thing.

Being hard on yourself Ron, I'd have no problem smoking that beauty. Good job bro.

Hiram-2011":tsslqtf3 said:
Being hard on yourself Ron, I'd have no problem smoking that beauty.  Good job bro.
As always, Thank you sir!

Looks good. You will be your worst critic. You worked through issues instead of tossing the block out the window and 90% of the people will see your "problems" as character and love it. I know I have made pipes that had "issues" that people loved. Remember a true artisan know how to work around problems, I think you managed that successfully.

You've just got to get your bamboo shank technique down for those blocks. Not bad at all!

Crafty":rtmlwymy said:
Looks good. You will be your worst critic. You worked through issues instead of tossing the block out the window and 90% of the people will see your "problems" as character and love it. I know I have made pipes that had "issues" that people loved. Remember a true artisan know how to work around problems, I think you managed that successfully.
Thank you sir , There's two reasons I don't toss them. One, I can't afford it and Two, I hate to give up on something that still has even a little potential, at least as a smoker. If my flaws are character this one's good enough for a comic strip.

Thomas Tkach":qs3womtd said:
You've just got to get your bamboo shank technique down for those blocks. Not bad at all!
Bamboo? No thank you, not really into bamboo. :no:

That's a great looking pipe Ron! Look on the bright side, anybody that uses up that much bad luck all at once, is bound to have some good luck just around the corner! :)

I really like that pipe Ron, it has character!
Your problem is you're too much of a perfectionist, if you worked for Rolls Royce you wouldn't let a car out of the factory!
I have, however, a simple solution - as you complete each pipe you send it to me, I will only return those that are worthy of your name :D

And so ....Pirate's Pipes was born

I like this one a lot, as I have the others I've seen. I dunno man but you're pretty darn good at this pipe making thing. Congrats Ron!

My offer still stands about field testing these for you and I will pay the shipping!

:lol!: