Dumb question: What is PAD & TAD?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, I have that. I thought it was just me, and I was embarrassed and hid it from everyone.

Just bought a new Chacom, haven't even smoked it, liked it in my hand, bought 2 more today. There goes $400.

Thought "I need a new cob" so I ordered 11…with multiple spare stems. There's $150 gone.

Country Squire father's day sale. I think "Is there anything they make that isn't worth trying? So I order a half pound of EVERYTHING I have never tried. $200 bye bye.

"Well, that isn't really fair to the good people at 4Noggins, and I have too many English, VAs and Aros in my cellar, relative to my Burley load out..." I think. So I order a half pound of every decent house Burley they have, a bunch of PS, C&D blends, and a few John Patton blends on top. $200.

The next step is to order 2 new pipe racks for 16 new pipes, and two trips to Walmart for Mason jars. I tell my wife they're for the homemade sauerkraut I make, and then I need to spend hours making sauerkraut to cover my tracks. Everything gets hidden in Rubbermaid tubs in my crawlspace.

I spend days surfing pipe and tobacco websites and forums. I subscribe to all the emails to find out about the latest deals, then look at my credit card bill, and unsubscribe from then all...only to re-subscribe just a few days later.

I have easily dropped 5 grand on pipes and tobacco since last September. Hell, I spend more time buying the **** than smoking it.

I have gone down to eating only home cooked meals once or twice a day, skipping haircuts, and rationalizing all other areas of my financial life, including always bringing in every pop can I have, even if I drank the soda in a park or miles away at work, just to turn it in for $ to spend more on pipes and tobacco.

I am not sure if anyone else suffers this affliction like me, but if you do, God help us.

Last edited:
You didn’t know what PAD/TAD was, but I think you may be the “Poster Boy” for the disorders! Lol.
I have been suffering in silence alone. 😂
I'm the only pipe smoker I know. Haven't even seen one in years. I thought I was just nuts. Maybe I am. Thanks to all for welcoming me. I am so happy and grateful to be here.

Tombstone,

You are not alone, man. I'm a newbie pipe smoker, and I've spent $2-3 k on pipes and tobacco in the last year or so.

I feel your pain (?).

Of course, you need a new rack for the pipes. Of course, you do.

You have to have it. Otherwise, your pipes will be sitting there, unprotected, alone, defenceless.

Yet. Yet. Still . . . those racks often have unfilled spaces. That new Danish looks awfully good. It would probably sit nicely in the hand. It probably smokes well, too.

That kind of reasoning keeps me coming back, time and time again, to the various sites I visit.

All of this is by way of saying, PAD and TAD are real.

I haven't even gotten into the lures of the new blends that seem to spring up like toadstools after a rain shower (which we have finally gotten in mid-Missouri after a four week drought - the rain, I mean: there have been plenty of new tobacco blends on the market).

I would point the way out of this mess, but I am trying to keep this C&D blend lit. I'll get back to you when I have a solution. In the meanwhile, there's a new meerschaum that looks like it would fit an empty space on my rack.

Best,
Book

Tombstone,

You are not alone, man. I'm a newbie pipe smoker, and I've spent $2-3 k on pipes and tobacco in the last year or so.

I feel your pain (?).

You have to have it. Otherwise, your pipes will be sitting there, unprotected, alone, defenceless.

Yet. Yet. Still . . . those racks often have unfilled spaces. That new Danish looks awfully good. It would probably sit nicely in the hand. It probably smokes well, too.

That kind of reasoning keeps me coming back, time and time again, to the various sites I visit.

I haven't even gotten into the lures of the new blends that seem to spring up like toadstools after a rain shower (which we have finally gotten in mid-Missouri after a four week drought - the rain, I mean: there have been plenty of new tobacco blends on the market).

I would point the way out of this mess, but I am trying to keep this C&D blend lit. I'll get back to you when I have a solution. In the meanwhile, there's a new meerschaum that looks like it would fit an empty space on my rack.

Best,
Book
I think we need an intervention for you two guys! 😂

Tombstone,

I feel your pain (?).

Best,
Book
I mean this in the most respectful way, but this post is 😂 thank you.

:LOL:

Study Pappa 359: Yet, what would the intervention be? Give up pipes? Give up posting? Nahhhhh..... Who would lead the group for the intervention? :)

Tombstone Smoker: Thanks! Cry/laughing is about what I was going for. That's about what I feel about most things these days (weather, local politics, national politics, international war zones involving . . . Ooo oops, no. No politics. Ahhh. involving tariff disputes between . . . . No, no, that's no good. Ah, how about dem Bears?)

Nah. Let's just talk tobacco and pipes. By the way, regarding your purchase of half a pound of everything Country Squire makes : (y).

How else are you going to know what you like? What are you going to do if you find out that you like something and then find out that it was the end of the run? (I mean, really!)

Mason jars. Small mason jars are the solution for those who like to stockpile. (You know that. I know that. Some new guy might not know it, so I'm saying it, just in case.)

By the way, and not for nothing, using sauerkraut canning as a disguise for the mason jar purchase is brilliant. Well done. Well played! Bravo, sir!

Best,
Book

Tombstone & Book,
You two are characters in a good way!
Tombstone, you are an open book. You just put it out there buddy.
Book, you are the sarcastic comedian type we all need to bring our bubble back to center.
You both have traits I admire in people. Reflecting on this TAD/PAD situation, I started calculating and found out I live in a glass house. The Brothers of Briar is like group therapy for the afflicted! 😂 Looking forward to see what you guys come up with next.

Sweet Jesus (and I mean that in the most respectful way), I have been smoking since sunrise, scourging tobaccoreviews.com, and loading and my cart at 4Noggins accordingly. So far, we're at over $100…and I feel like I'm just getting started. Heaven help me with these heavy decisions.

Every time a new pipe and tobacco bomb shows up, it's like Christmas. I rush to my door, and subsequently hide the box under a basket. It will opened only when I find a small, still moment to Spyderco slice it, with the greatest measure of mindfulness and care I can muster.

Each packet and pipe is given careful consideration as to it's future role in my smoking life. Or perhaps better stated, I meditate on how must I now adjust my life to better fit this manna from Heaven.

I cannot determine if I am demented madman or a mystic. In any case, this insence is a gift more precious to me than frankincense and myrrh.

Considering the state of my affliction, I expect The Lord's quick, corrective return. When that happens, I pray I look up in the sky, to see him, riding triumphant, with the host of Heaven behind...through a creamy, rising veil of sacred smoke.

Amen
Maranatha
World Without End 💕

Last edited:
Tombstone, my friend, you need have no fear.

Mark Twain was an inveterate pipe and cigar smoker.

He once said, and here I paraphrase, that sitting on clouds while playing harps all day sounded like his idea of hell.

On the other hand, keeping a pipe burning evenly in the midst of clouds (humidity) and freakin' cherubim flitting all over the place (creating wind -from the wings, you know), that, THAT, I say, is a project worthy of eternity.

Best,
Book

Tombstone & Book,
You two are characters in a good way!🤪
Tombstone, you are an open book. You just put it out there buddy.
Book, you are the sarcastic comedian type we all need to bring our bubble back to center.
:LOL:

Thank you for the kind words.

One of the things that I genuinely appreciate in this forum is the kindly acceptance of different points of view.

Lest that be lost, let me say: thank you to all of you who are making this forum a space of decency and civil behavior on the internet.

I considered making a few more zany comments, but I am going to leave it there for the evening.

Wishing you all a smooth evening and a peaceful morning,

Book