Quantcast

Duncan briar with L&JS silver stamp...

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me with this Duncan pipe and silver marking? Picked up in a lot, and started to clean it up, and under the grime is a Sterling silver mark 925 and the initials L & JS in a rectangular cabochon.

The pipe is stamped 'Duncan' over 'Made in England', and on the bottom '171 Hallmark'.

I have tried Pipedia and Pipephil and the only tidbit I can find is the listing included, indicating that it was the stamp of former Dunhill silversmith Leslie Wood at Ferndown Pipes.

But... this is a Duncan... Did other brands ever comission his work? And there's so little info on Duncan briars around, I'd be grateful for any light you guys could shine on it!

IMG_20201210_000752.jpg

PXL_20201208_193211269.jpg
PXL_20201208_193254517.jpg

GrampaGrossbart

Reaction score
What a cool find! I wonder if Les Wood started out there before moving to Dunhill, or maybe as a silversmith specializing in pipes he just plied his trade for other UK makers from time to time. Why don’t you ask him? According to pipedia he can be reached at ferndownpipes@gmail.com.

As for Duncan, if you haven’t already read this it’s pretty interesting: Duncan Briars History

Timbo

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
That grain is lovely, sorry got nothing useful to add other than my jealousy. :love: