Duncan briar with L&JS silver stamp...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me with this Duncan pipe and silver marking? Picked up in a lot, and started to clean it up, and under the grime is a Sterling silver mark 925 and the initials L & JS in a rectangular cabochon.

The pipe is stamped 'Duncan' over 'Made in England', and on the bottom '171 Hallmark'.

I have tried Pipedia and Pipephil and the only tidbit I can find is the listing included, indicating that it was the stamp of former Dunhill silversmith Leslie Wood at Ferndown Pipes.

But... this is a Duncan... Did other brands ever comission his work? And there's so little info on Duncan briars around, I'd be grateful for any light you guys could shine on it!

IMG_20201210_000752.jpg

PXL_20201208_193211269.jpg

PXL_20201208_193254517.jpg

What a cool find! I wonder if Les Wood started out there before moving to Dunhill, or maybe as a silversmith specializing in pipes he just plied his trade for other UK makers from time to time. Why don’t you ask him? According to pipedia he can be reached at [email protected].

As for Duncan, if you haven’t already read this it’s pretty interesting: Duncan Briars History