Dunhill Birth Year Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgtarheel

Reaction score
I have been looking for a 1951 pipe for about 4 years and I can't seen to locate one. I have seen plenty of 1950s and 1952s but no 1951. Is there something in the Dunhill history that makes this difficult? Did they not make many that year or did they stamp them with 50 and 52 stamps? If someone knows something, please enlighten me. Thanks!

Per the late John Loring, there has never been a "1951" stamped DH. If you find a 1950 (w Pat No 417574/34 & an underlined O) that also has a circled size number followed usually by an A or S; then you have a 1951. You've probably seen quite a few like this. many sellers don't realize this little DH quirk. :cheers: FTRPLT

Really!? This is a piece of Dunhill dating info I had no idea about. Thanks for the info.

Marty Pulvers has a '51 Root Briar, Squat Bulldog, beauty, listed on his site in case you were looking for one.

Good luck in your quest; interesting information on dating a '51 Dunhill, I didn't know that. I'm semi looking for a '55 myself, and if I had cash at the ready I'd be seriously looking. :lol!:

RobJ":7shvlti6 said:
Good luck in your quest; interesting information on dating a '51 Dunhill, I didn't know that. I'm semi looking for a '55 myself, and if I had cash at the ready I'd be seriously looking.  :lol!:
Gee Whiz Rob! I thought you were an old geezer like me but you're still wet behind the ears boy! :lol!: :lol!:

AJ

skaukatt":bh4l6ugr said:
Marty Pulvers has a '51 Root Briar, Squat Bulldog, beauty, listed on his site in case you were looking for one.  
I exchanged an email or two with Marty about this!! Notice his nice explanation about the dating (1950 vs. 1951). It is a truly hidden DH dating quirk :cheers: FTRPLT

ajn27511":s0d2e5i0 said:
RobJ":s0d2e5i0 said:
Good luck in your quest; interesting information on dating a '51 Dunhill, I didn't know that. I'm semi looking for a '55 myself, and if I had cash at the ready I'd be seriously looking.  :lol!:
Gee Whiz Rob! I thought you were an old geezer like me but you're still wet behind the ears boy! :lol!: :lol!:

AJ
:lol!: You're a funny guy AJ :twisted:

If one were check eBay right now, under Dunhill pipes, first page; there is a DH Shell, shape 104, claiming to be a 1951!! In all fairness, there is a 1 after the patent number. However, there are a number of issues with the markings that lead me to believe that either this is a fake...or this may be one of the most valuable DH's ever!! Plus, the stem is not a DH stem in form, fit, or white spot (there ain't one!!). I wish I could do a link; but not smart enough! If any of you wish to take a look, perhaps we can continue a dialogue on this pipe! :cheers: FTRPLT

And perhaps I should have started another thread/topic...Did not intend to hijack this thread :no: FTRPLT