Dunhill Brings Back Elizabethan Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
I know that some of you guys who are Vaper fans will be excited to hear about this.....

When the Dunhill range was re-released a few years ago many have asked for more to come back. We got the Nightcap back and soon we will see Elizabethan Mixture on Tobacconist Gantries very soon. I have managed to get my hands of a tin from a contact somewhere in Europe (no i wont say who). Having never previously tried this blend when it made by either Murrys or Dunhill them selfs, i can not make a comparison to the older variations. Although after having a quick read of TobaccoReviews it seems that this blend had many followers and it makes sense to see this one coming back.

From the tin the blend looks like a mixture of fine Virginias from gold to nut browns and a few tones in between. The cut is mainly fluffy shag with a few bits of broken flake, not sure if its pressed as much as the originals due to the shag and not Broken flake consistency. The aroma from the tin is of Virginias and the Perique count can’t too high as if i wasn’t aware that the blend contained it i wouldn’t have suspected so. I would even go as far to say that from the nose, the blend was of Virginias and Turkish due to a creamy/sour, grassy/hay like aroma.

The first taste, early morning in a old Peterson Donegal Rocky.

The fluffy cut makes for an easy packing experience and the cold draw has a wonderful grassy/hay taste. As soon as you light the tobacco you are geeted with a classic Vaper/VA (Virginia/Perique) flavour, fresh and crisp grassy/hay flavours with a subtle fig note. Due to the cut and the mainly gold leaf, this tobacco burns so freely and needed no touch lights or even a tamp. Then to my surprise the tobacco never got too hot or hash, no matter how fast and hard i pulled at it. I was only smoking this in a small Peterson Donegal Rocky 65, so it could have been the narrow chamber. Need to smoke this in a larger pipe at a later date. The tobacco burnt to a clean white ash and only a little spittle in the base of the pipe, again more due to my dribbling into the pipe/tobacco itself (yeah, yeah i know!).

All in all the Elizabethan mixture is a cracking smoke, does remind me a little of the De Luxe Navy Rolls (DLNR), just quicker and much easier to pack and smoke. The moisture content of the tin(which until now i have said nothing) is perfect, BUT i suspect that the tin may have been open for a little while (it came with the Vacuum seal broken). This blend will not be about until the tail end of the summer here in the UK and i suspect elsewhere in the world. I can see this aging well, maybe not as well as the DLNR which after just 4 years was divine! A VaPer mixture that smokes as well as a flake, is a winner in any book surely!

I cant stop their through! The shag cut and mainly golden blend should make this an ideal tobacco to roll with. So lets see what happens!!!!!

Wow this is a flavoursome cigarette, a little too strong though. The smoke is very creamy with the hay notes and a big whack of Perique every now and then. Maybe if this was mixed say 75% with 25% Virginia Gold then this could be a cracking smoke for those who like a good jolt first thing in the morning.

So there you have it, my first review in a long time and i will be doing more in the very near future.

Take care and peace!

http://glynnquelch.co.uk/2013/04/25/dunhill-elizabethan-mixture/

Excellent review, Dutch! You should definitely do this more often.

I'm thrilled to see another old Dunhill classic reborn. I've heard that we can expect to see this on shelves in July or August.

Though I'm not a big VaPer fan, i did smoke Elizabethan Mixture back when it was made by Murray's and it was a PRIMO VaPer! If Orlik/STG does with it as they have been able to do with the other Dunhill mixtures they have brought back, you VaPer lovers who've not tried it are gonna be in for a treat :p I will definatley add a tin or two to my "stock" when it comes here :twisted:

Now if they will bring back DURBAR and sell Royal Yacht in bulk, all would be good with the world :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'm gonna have to cop a tin or three of it when it makes its way here. I finished my last tin of EM last year.

Never tried EM back in the day. Looks like it'll be on my must try list when it becomes available over here. Love me some VaPers.

Now, if they'd bring back 3 Yr Matured Virginia I'd be a happy man!

:D

Cheers,

RR

I've only tried one tin of EM, and that had some age on it. For those who might have greater experience of both, would you say it was similar to another VaPer, McConnell's Red Virginia Superb? (They seemed similar to me, but again, the EM had some age on it, and I only tried one tin each, about 4 months apart)

HCraven":d72pft24 said:
Excellent review, Dutch! You should definitely do this more often.

I'm thrilled to see another old Dunhill classic reborn. I've heard that we can expect to see this on shelves in July or August.

Actually this was a review by Glynn Quelch from Gauntley's tobacconist in Nottingham, UK.

Glynn joined BoB about a yr ago but hasn't been heard from after a few posts. Guess he's busy with his business, which I'm hoping is thriving.

Cheers,

RR

Wow!. I'm a big fan of Va/Pers and have read a lot of good things about that blend, Unfortunately I was never able to try the original. Looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks for the Info Dutch.

I'd hope to see it on the shelves soon, I'd love to give it a try.

H'mm, guess it's no where near the 'tail-end' of summer yet :(  Still, anyone have any recent info on this?

DrT999":1cvk4win said:
H'mm, guess it's no where near the 'tail-end' of summer yet :(  Still, anyone have any recent info on this?
Not yet ! That'l be around the end of November down here in Texas :twisted: :twisted:  I've not read nor heard anything more about it except the article posted here by the member in the UK. :twisted: 

I checked with three tobacco e-tailers here n the US today and ALL have heard a rumor about this but Orlik has not released ANY info or the blend in the Euro market yet and at this point it looks like it's just a rumor. :cry: 

monbla256":fxdga5ke said:
I checked with three tobacco e-tailers here n the US today and ALL have heard a rumor about this but Orlik has not released ANY info or the blend in the Euro market yet and at this point it looks like it's just a rumor. :cry: 
Well, I don't know any UK retailer to ask, but I did check four UK sites, and none even list it as a possibility.  Oh, well, I guess it's still a 'maybe' :scratch:

Somebody posted a review of it at TR.com. Dunno how he got some to try, though.

JimInks":pc74tyeg said:
Somebody posted a review of it at TR.com. Dunno how he got some to try, though.
I read that review also. He did not mention where he got it from which makes me wonder about it. hmmmm  :twisted: