Dunhill Brings Back Elizabethan Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoked the new version today, and was disappointed in the sense this is now a shag cut and not ribbon cut as the Murray's version was. It does taste fairly similar, but I think the old version had a little more perique and bright Virginia. I'll even go so far as to say I think the Dunhill Elizabethan Match, while not quite the same as the Murray's, tastes a little more like it than this new version does. Maybe 80-85% so.

Don't get me wrong. I like the new version all right. I just prefer the old one. I think this new stuff will need aging. But I'll smoke the rest of this half ounce sample I was gifted and enjoy it.

JimInks":inc2nrq5 said:
I smoked the new version today, and was disappointed in the sense this is now a shag cut and not ribbon cut as the Murray's version was. It does taste fairly similar, but I think the old version had a little more perique and bright Virginia. I'll even go so far as to say I think the Dunhill Elizabethan Match, while not quite the same as the Murray's, tastes a little more like it than this new version does. Maybe 80-85% so.

Don't get me wrong. I like the new version all right. I just prefer the old one. I think this new stuff will need aging. But I'll smoke the rest of this half ounce sample I was gifted and enjoy it.
While I didn't care much for the one Elizabethan match I tried, I otherwise agree with Jim. Of course, since the tin of the Murray's version I smoked had nearly 10 years of age on it, it's not quite a fair comparison. I will enjoy the current tin, and have bought another one to cellar

I bought two tins yesterday via SP.com to see what the fuss was all about. I'm a big MM965 fan and fear it might be too light in the Lat department. But, at $8/tin, why not.

riff raff":8tyi978i said:
I bought two tins yesterday via SP.com to see what the fuss was all about.  I'm a big MM965 fan and fear it might be too light in the Lat department. But, at $8/tin, why not.
I'll be interested to read your take, Al.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":hns4quvd said:
riff raff":hns4quvd said:
I bought two tins yesterday via SP.com to see what the fuss was all about.  I'm a big MM965 fan and fear it might be too light in the Lat department. But, at $8/tin, why not.
I'll be interested to read your take, Al.

Cheers,

RR
Me too.

I also got two tins of it yesterday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like it seeing that my taste buds are a bit fussy nowadays it seems.

Well, I can't compare this stuff to the old stuff.  I tried the mixture in the 90's, but I didn't appreciate anything about Virginias or Vapers back then.  In fact, just for perspective, I still don't appreciate straight Virginias too much.  Generally, I find them too one-dimensional and bland.  Bright Virginias or those with "citrus" notes, such as Dunhill Flake, are just to light on the palate for me (I'm not knocking any tobacco, I'm just talking about my preferences).  Astley's No. 44 and Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake are exceptions because they have a sweetness that really hits the spot for me.  For whatever reason, I have been unable to find that sweetness in classics like Full Virginia Flake.  Add a little (or a lot) of perique to a Virginia and I'm usually satisfied, but greatness is still hard to find.

Anyway, I had recently lamented that it has been a long time since I discovered a new keeper blend.  Elizabethan Mixture ends the dry spell.  It's delicious!  Rather simple, but delicious.  The Virginias provide full, thick, creamy, earthy notes and the perique provides a nice plummy counterbalance that is not overstated.  There is not much sweetness, but there is just a bit if you look for it.  It kind of reminds me of the Virginia side of Fillmore, but instead of the perique on the other side providing spicey notes and sharpness that reminds me of an aged cheese, the perique in EM provides those rich plummy flavors. So for me, EM gives me a great alternative to Fillmore when I want a heavier Vaper (I would consider something like Peter Stockkebye Flakes to be "light Vapers").

Almost forgot...The price is right!  Try some.

Cartaphilus":km5a5fjt said:
I also got two tins of it yesterday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like it seeing that my taste buds are a bit fussy nowadays it seems.
If you are a VaPer  fan, from my past memory of this blend, you ought to LOVE IT ! Orlik has so far done a bang-up job of re-creating "Dunhill's" blends to a nice similarity to the last Murray's iterations. I did not smoke much of it in past years, but did find it a nice, full peppery VaPer at the time ! I'm going to give it a try this next month :twisted:

Given what everyone says about the new EM, St. James Flake is my favorite. Seamless, bold and very tasty! I would add more of it first before adding EM.

OK, got some!!

I'll keep it brief, if you like VaPers, get some. Now. This IS Perique. I thought I'd need to get at least a quarter down the bowl before 'detection' , but no, I tasted it immediately. And kept on tasting it. Yes, it's not the most complex of 'baccy's, but is sheer class.

We pay £12.80 for 50g's of this here in the UK. Which is almost US $20.00. If I was to be able to get some at the price you chaps pay, I'd be picking it up for about £5.00 a tin. Grrrrrr.....tax!!!!

4noggins.com_Mike":sa91mwjx said:
Given what everyone says about the new EM, St. James Flake is my favorite. Seamless, bold and very tasty! I would add more of it first before adding EM.
It sure comes off to me as if what you're saying is, "4Noggins doesn't have EM, but they have St James Flake, so buy that instead."

I mean, first of all, this is a thread about interest in EM. Second, when you say, "Given what everyone says..," it sounds to me like you haven't even tried it. So, I don't understand how you make a recommendation based on unknowns. Finally, to me, the comments by those who have tried it seem pretty positive.

Maybe it's just me, but as someone who is apparently a representative of a vendor I respect, that is just plain wrong.

Say Ut, I can see your point but what is the point. He suggested an alternate mixture with similar characteristics because the blend being discussed was out-of-stock.

Yes, the thread was about a specific blend but suggesting an alternative is a frequent forum response.

JKenP":fyid1z6b said:
Say Ut, I can see your point but what is the point.  He suggested an alternate mixture with similar characteristics because the blend being discussed was out-of-stock.  

Yes, the thread was about a specific blend but suggesting an alternative is a frequent forum response.
Well, like I said, maybe it's just me. I appreciate you pointing out that he was representing St James as an alternative. I didn't read it that way. I guess I'm a little grumpy in my old age. My apologies.

4noggins.com_Mike":e7illcu6 said:
well if you had it in stock i would! hint hint!!:D 

If I was jonesing for SG tobacco I would of course check the big names first, but failing to get what I wanted, do what one of our illustrious members does to get these tobaccos: google for the names and numbers of the the second or third tier tobacconists out there who would be glad for my business and have the tobacco on hand, who sell without limits and maintain a supply due to a dearth of orders.

Then again when I bought 36 lbs of SG earlier this year, I had no trouble getting it from the standbys.

Got my Dunhill Elizabethan in today, like a kid with a new toy couldn't wait and crack one tin open. Nicely package and a great aroma and coloring that reminds me of Wessex BS but a much lighter aroma of pepper (less Perique?). Not wanting to enjoy this without my morning coffee I have managed to stave off my impatience till Sunday morn when I will again rip into it like a child on Christmas morn.
Yes, sometimes the smallest of surprises are the best. Simple man, simple wants, simple needs.

Cartaphilus":ctv0m9if said:
Got my Dunhill Elizabethan in today, like a kid with a new toy couldn't wait and crack one tin open. Nicely package and a great aroma and coloring that reminds me of Wessex BS but a much lighter aroma of pepper (less Perique?). Not wanting to enjoy this without my morning coffee I have managed to stave off my impatience till Sunday morn when I will again rip into it like a child on Christmas morn.
Yes, sometimes the smallest of surprises are the best. Simple man, simple wants, simple needs.
Cart, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this offering from "Dunhill" (Orlik) . It's not an "in your face" VaPer ala GLP's versions, but more of a nuanced smooth classic. I'm not a big VaPer fan but my memory of EM was that it was a GOOD all around mixture !! Have a nice Sunday morning  :twisted:

I'm hoping so sir, and thank you. And may yours as well.

Cartaphilus":4lpo6mnx said:
I hope you enjoy your first bowl of this at least as much as I did! (first impression, I thought it was pretty tasty)

I'll let ya all know Sunday, I have high hopes.