Dunhill Durbar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Button

Reaction score
I finally tried a tin of Dunhill Durbar last night that was generously gifted to me by fellow BoB'r Mark.

All I can say is wow.

Well I guess that is not all I can say. This is good stuff. A broad cut blend of Oriental Leaf, Virginia and Latakia, having almost the look of being cut by hand, not uniform, and some small flakes still needing to be partially rubbed. The smell from this tin is reminiscent of brandy, or cognac of some sort, with typical Oriental/Latakia aromas wafting through. I looked online to see if it was sprayed or coated with any sort of liquor but it seems it is not. I guess this is just the smell of well aged leaf. Delicious and mouth watering.

Moisture level was good, but I let it sit out for about 15 minutes before loading up my meerschaum. Upon lighting I was reminded a lot of Frog Morton on the Town. Delicate, smokey, yet slightly sweet with a room note that smelled of incense and body odor. The smoke was amazing. Very tasty and so delicate that this felt like sipping on a mild savory custard, creamy and sweet yet spicy and smokey at the same time. I had to literally force myself to slow down because I kept wanting to go back for more. This stuff never bit, and the pipe never gurgled. It smoked like a dream. After charring, I only re-lit twice, and this is a rather large meer I was smoking from. The bowl finished with a nice white ash and a little dottle in the bottom.

This is truly the kind of smoke that one needs to sit down and enjoy. I was preparing a roast at the time, and smoking while working in the kitchen, but at one point I had to stop what I was doing and go stand on the balcony (it was a rather mild New England evening last night) and just savor the moment and subtleties of the this tobacco. Really great stuff.

Too bad this is out of production, otherwise I think I'd be stocking my cabinets with it.

-Adam

I am green with jealousy! That is the only Dunhill that I wish I had tried but never did.

Its my favorite Dunhill..................think I have only 3 tins left :(

I have one old tin remaining. Not sure when I will open it. Sure wish I had stocked up "way back when!" Damn fine weedage :king: :pipe: FTRPLT

Very good review, Adam. Thanks.

Durbar was one of my sfavorite Dunhill blends (with London & EMP & Light Flake). I was able to put back some tins, and I'm trying to make a tin last two years.

Thanks again for the review.

TC

Oh yeah, I loved Durbar. Nice, smoky flavor, but with...for me anyway...a near fatal nicotine hit. I had to smoke it very very slowly, but that's a good thing...because to enjoy its subtle goodness you have to take your time.

But I'm not kidding...the nico hit just about kicked my arse. I would smoke it again, though, if I could find any.

Mike

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that tin of Durbar was three years old,,,imagine what a few more years would do,,,

Yes, Durbar is really good. I have been trading away the Dunhill tins in my cellar, but I will surely save Durbar for last. I find difficult to justify smoking a $40 50 g tin, especially when they can be traded for 8 oz tins of GLP Westminster. Yummm.

Wet Dottle":pwal53ip said:
Yes, Durbar is really good. I have been trading away the Dunhill tins in my cellar, but I will surely save Durbar for last. I find difficult to justify smoking a $40 50 g tin, especially when they can be traded for 8 oz tins of GLP Westminster. Yummm.
Is THAT how much these are going for ?????
Gonna have to start selling some off............... :gatewheel:

rick":inl3xis1 said:
Wet Dottle":inl3xis1 said:
Is THAT how much these are going for ?????
Gonna have to start selling some off............... :gatewheel:
Current average value is $36.52 Murray's and $24.90 Orlik - this is actually down from last year's average values for both tins.

Every time I inventory my DH tins I tell myself I should sell and/or trade them as they do command a rather premium price :pipe: FTRPLT