Dunhill EMP with more tobacco flavor??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog Bruce

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a blend similiar to early morning pipe with more flavor, tobac., not the 'topping', Thanx. :D

Bd

Never Forget!

From what I've gathered from reading reviews on TobaccoReviews, EMP, Standard Mixture Medium, and My Mixture 965 (all from Dunhill) are all similar with EMP being the mildest, MMM a little stronger, and 965 being the strongest. So far, I've only smoked 965 and it has a nice full flavor to me without being overwhelming. You might want to give it or MMM a try. :pipe:

Dunhill's EMP is what we might be called an Oriental-forward English, it is nothing like Standard Mixture Medium or My Mixt. 965 (which has black cavendish). Strange as this might sound to some, I have found Rattray's Red Rapparee to share much of the overall profile of EMP. By the way, since when is EMP 'topped' - perhaps you are mistaking some Oriental tang for a topping? Enjoy!

Kapnismologist":pzcgxoiy said:
Dunhill's EMP is what we might be called an Oriental-forward English, it is nothing like Standard Mixture Medium or My Mixt. 965 (which has black cavendish). Strange as this might sound to some, I have found Rattray's Red Rapparee to share much of the overall profile of EMP. By the way, since when is EMP 'topped' - perhaps you are mistaking some Oriental tang for a topping? Enjoy!
As stated, the comparisons were not based on my own personal experiences, but rather on what others wrote about them in the reviews where they compared them and said they were similar.

Kapnismologist":b17wcjxk said:
As I had not tried any orientals prior to tasting them in EMP, I wasn't aware that is what the 'tang' was. In my ignorance, I guess I prefer in-experience I thought it was topped with something. Thanks for educating me on that point, as am still a novice and wholly enjoy the 'quest'. On someones suggestion I got some red raparee from local B & M, and, and while enjoyed it, was a little heavy or forward, on the orientals for my taste. I did have the foresight to lay in a lot of ball jars, and thru tasting different blends am slowly building a cellar for when tastes may change, or for trading, or for 'gifting', or for a little change now and then, or for when tobac becomes in short supply, or, as I have come to believe, like pipes, ya can't have to many. :D Ah well, when budget allows, will have to try some of the My Mixt 965, or something similiar,or, well, fortunatly the list is long and varied. :lol:

Thanx all, Bd

Great observation on the various reviews. My experience with sites such as tobaccoreviews is that the opinions on a given tobacco vary widely. For instance, GLP's Odyssey. One reviewer hated it because it wouldn't stay lit and he didn't get much flavor out of it! I, on the other hand, seldom have to light Odyssey more than once and find it bursting with flavor!! Do try DH SM Medium, or perhaps GLP's Blackpoint (or another of his "lighter on the Latakia" blends). The McClelland's Oriental line (try the lower #'s, not the #12 or #14, too much Latweed) might suffice as an EMP alternate! Happy Puffing :pipe: :pipe: FTRPLT

A very good suggestion on the McClellands (no. 1 especially given adequate time in the tin, say 3-5 years or thereabouts), and for good measure I would suggest what may very well be one of the best Oriental/Virginias readily available to most of us: Presbyterian Mixture. While quite different from EMP in balance and structure (i.e., lacking even a trace of latakia), it does fall into the same genre. This, however, is a whole other discussion...

At the same time, I would still stand by Rattrary's Red Rapp. as a suitable substitute of the same class as EMP. If you can find the pre-XYZ distributed tins (either J. Russell or, before that, M. Rohr), so much the better - while still blended by Kohlhase & Kopp, and thus leagues apart from the Ch. Ratt. originals, I have found the extra tin age to soften the edges substantially. I currently have an open 100g XYZ-dist. tin fresh from JR which I have been smoking from for about three weeks now and alongside that a smidgen of what is left from an older Max Rohr distributed 4oz. tin (c. late 1980s?) which I opened about six months ago. The difference is substantial, with the older one drawing much, much closer to EMP than the former. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the newer would come around if left alone long enough.

I think an oriental thread would be a great discussion here. Anyone want to start a new topic? I would love to talk more about Presbyterian and the other great Oriental/VAs - Oriental-forward mixtures and blends which, it seems, always generate a lot of varying opinions.

I've been a fan of EMP for years, and have experimented around to try and duplicate it, especially the older 80s blend. The closest I've come is roughly 2 parts Rattary's Old Gowire to 1 part McClellend's Arcadia. Seal it in a mason jar for a few months or more, and it's pretty close (at least to my burned out taste buds). Use Marlin Flake for a bit more strength if you like, and you can add a wee-pinch of parique or latakia to create some interesting blends from there on.

Just my experience,

Natch

Greetings Bulldog Bruce,

My short answers: Nat Sherman's 536 and GLPease's Ashbury.

Both are very flavorful, well-balanced blends, with orientals carrying the melody, as in EMP, but with more harmonious support from the Virginia components and with more bass notes from more latakia than EMP has.

I think Ashbury is GLPease's most under-rated blend. For me, it is a clear "A" grade blend. the orientals stand out more than in Nat Sherman's 536, to my recollection. Both are excellent smokes where you don't want to be hit over the head with latakia, but want a well-balanced English blend.

I used to smoke Dunhill's (Murray's) EMP regularly. now I carefully ration the few tins remaining in the cellar. I love the Virginia and orientals in this blend, with its smidgen of latakia. The orientals really shine in EMP and are very spicy.

FYI - A almost exact match for EMP = James Fox's Campanile. I smoked this and EMP simultaneously on several occasions in almost identical pipes (S&R large billiard Yard pipes). The orientals and virginias used seemed to be exactly the same. Only subtle difference with the lack of latakia in Campanile.

But to answer you question for a similar but stronger tobacco tasting blend, I guess I'd need to know what you were looking for when you say "more tobacco taste?" If you want more latakia, then I'd agree with others' suggestions above in addition to my two recommendations.

Cheers,

TC

Recently had a few bowlfuls of McC's AM Pipe. Makes a great substitute for EMP, IMO.

Had the opportunity to try a bowl of C&D Epiphany the other day and it seemed awfully similar also, but we were standing around in a bike shop with one of them running on and off. Not a real good setting for judging the flavor of a new blend, but the harley sounded cool. :lol:

Bruce

Two suggestions. Go to 4noggins.com. Under their own bulk blends there is Britt's Balkan and from John Patton look at Harvest Home. Anything coming from 4noggins these days is getting rave reviews. Check it out at tobaccoreviews.com Their bulk prices are very reasonable.