Dunhill Light flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
I cracked a tin of this on the 1st during the virtual smoker, a 2 1/2 year old tin that I culled from the 07 box pass, courtesy of TJ's cellar.

I'd swear there was a little burley in this, has the same sort of mouth feel as Reiner long golden flake. In fact they come across as very very similar to me. The virginias are not too sweet but the body of the blend makes it quite enjoyable to smoke, more so than many other light Va flakes of a similar vein. There is definitely a light honey-like topping - smells that way anyhow, like the many Danish Va's. I'd say this is not a light flake because it's really a medium bodied Virginia, but compared to the other Dunhill mixtures it definitely is mild.

Of all the Dunhill blends I've tried, this one ranks right near the top.

I dont believe theres any burley in it.. We'll ask Dock in a few days when his half tin arrives (shh he dont know I toss in extras during trade :) ) The honey topping? Maybe, I just took it for extra sweet Va but who knows. Dont take it as an arguement against your statement,I've only had 4-5 tins of it so I'm far from qualified to debate what is and isnt in it. It is a pretty good smoke though.

I've only had 4 bowls thus far PB, and though I don't get much sweetness in taste it sure smells like the Danish style honey topping - more of a Mc B Roll Cake smell than a grassy F&T cut Va smell. The description on TR does say that it's a straight Va, no burley mentioned.

Puff Daddy,

LF is a long time favorite medium va flake for me. To me, Orlick Golden Sliced is pretty close. I always get a very slight anisette tin aroma from it; does not appear in actual taste. I like both enough to have a combined inventory of 20 tins. Holler if it endears itself with you. Got plenty.

:afro: b 8)

Hi PD,

I am a big fan of Light Flake. It is a medium Virginia and I think it has a sweetness to it which I've attributed to the Virginia and a light sweetening agent. This could be anise, but I don't get floral, at least not like many of the Gawith & Hoggarth blends. I don't think there is any burley in it, and not being a burley fan, I usually notice it if it is there to any degree.

I find it much more flavorful than Golden slices, but I've not smoked GS in quite a while and only a very small quantity, so I really don't know it well enough to compare other than that.

I find Long Golden Flake more naturally sweet and more ... elegant. As much as I really like Light Flake, I love LGF. I hardly notice the burley in LGF, but I've not the acuity you and other have on this board.

I'm long overdue on cracking a tin of LGF and Light Flake. Thanks for bringing that to my attention PD.

Cheers,

TC

PD, I beg to differ. I appreciate and learn from your observations! Keep them coming, please.

Cheers,

TC