Dunhill Microphone pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's discussed in one of Richard Carlton Hacker's works. Either The Ultimate Pipe Book or The Ultimate Pipe Video if not both.

Like the Vauen "Lounge Pipe"
LoungePipebyVauen.jpg

This was an award given yearly out in England.
I don't know how many here are familiar with Stephen Fry, he too was the recipient of this coveted honor. He's an old Brit Wit, best friends with Hugh Laurie and I believe he's on the show Bones from time to time. Can't confirm that last one- not a big fan of television. (I tend to get weird looks these days when I tell people that. I don't have any weird disposition towards the T.V., I just feel horribly unproductive when I watch it. I do make a point to catch Tony Bourdain on Travel, though.)

The year before Stephen Fry won, the award was given to Richard Dunhill, grandson of Alfred Dunhill. Alfred Dunhill of course being the founder of that crummy, off-brand pipe manufacturer some of you may or may not have heard of.

The award was discontinued after 40 years in 2004 because... why else- the organizers feared that it went against anti-tobacco advertisement laws. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is a copy of Dave Lee Travis' Pipe Smoker of the Year Pipe. Dunhill had a display of these award pipes at the CPCC show years ago. This is the only Pipe Smoker of the Year pipe I've ever seen on eBay but I've seen it/them for sale a few times over the past few years. :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Smoker_of_the_Year

hobie1dog":u1mvcx8k said:
Like the Vauen "Lounge Pipe"
LoungePipebyVauen.jpg
You young folks would really like the modern incarnation of these.
Owing to an obscure section of ieee 802.11s they're wireless! Plus they come standard with usb interfaces and there is apparently some gossip about holographic units in the next releases. Sort of a virtual pipe shop. It networks too. Ever wondered what it would be like to visit Alfred Dunhill's Edwardian era shop on Duke street? Of course it's going to be an interesting challenge to keep this from Alfred.

daveinlax":qhytcuxd said:
This is a copy of Dave Lee Travis' Pipe Smoker of the Year Pipe. Dunhill had a display of these award pipes at the CPCC show years ago. This is the only Pipe Smoker of the Year pipe I've ever seen on eBay but I've seen it/them for sale a few times over the past few years. :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Smoker_of_the_Year
I like that in 1995, someone simply named "Jethro" won the award. Must be quite a smoker to go by just one name!

Absolutely there are differences. The weight, shape, quality of the materials, and size of the airway for me. Then there are differences in mood of the smoker. What am I feeling at that moment? That influences what I want from a given pipe. But I do believe and heard this from enough pipe makers, that after a certain level, the quality of the smoke is unchanged.

So, there's some subjectivity, and some objectivity.

:farao:

Amenhotep04":73z9amgw said:
Absolutely there are differences. The weight, shape, quality of the materials, and size of the airway for me. Then there are differences in mood of the smoker. What am I feeling at that moment? That influences what I want from a given pipe. But I do believe and heard this from enough pipe makers, that after a certain level, the quality of the smoke is unchanged.

So, there's some subjectivity, and some objectivity.

:farao:
I think you meant this reply for that other thread. ;)

As for the very last "Pipe Smoker of the Year", here's The Rest of The Story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ-XPNlq-FY

Rad