Dunhill Military Kit

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really is cool! I wonder if the British military issued something like that in the early days the way our military issued Lucky Strikes...........nah! Well, maybe.

I had an early Kaywoodie in that shape that I gifted to someone and it was a fine smoker!

Occasionall one of the old WWII Dunhill pipe kits shows up on EBay. Not the greatest pipe in the world, but still a DH!! :D FTRPLT

I have a buddy that works at a pipe shop and has a Dunhill WWII field kit with pipe and lighter. Never been smoked. I know that he's been looking to sell it, if anyone is interested.

I could be wrong but it seems like I read somewhere that the military stem was designed as a fix to the problem of soldiers breaking the stems on their pipes. They carried their pipes with the stem stuck down through the belt and frequently broke them when sitting or climbing,

The military stem, also known as the army mount and military bit, was indeed designed to decrease the risk of soldiers breaking either the stem, or worse, the shank, of their pipes. there seems to be quite a lot of confusion about whether it was developed during the British Empires occupation of India, where soldiers stuck their pipes in there belts while marching, or while mounted as cavalry, in which case one could very easily snap the shank or stem while mounting, dismounting, or at a gallop. Some contend it was developed during World War 1, so troops in the trenches could quickly break their pipe down in order to go 'over the top', or while taking cover from incoming, and reassemble while still hot without causing a loose fit. I can only assume that someone much more educated in pipe lore could probably jump in and let us know. Rad? Mabey the D P G?

Bd

Never Forget!

Bulldog Bruce":mu4sxk6d said:
The military stem, also known as the army mount and military bit, was indeed designed to decrease the risk of soldiers breaking either the stem, or worse, the shank, of their pipes. there seems to be quite a lot of confusion about whether it was developed during the British Empires occupation of India, where soldiers stuck their pipes in there belts while marching, or while mounted as cavalry, in which case one could very easily snap the shank or stem while mounting, dismounting, or at a gallop. Some contend it was developed during World War 1, so troops in the trenches could quickly break their pipe down in order to go 'over the top', or while taking cover from incoming, and reassemble while still hot without causing a loose fit. I can only assume that someone much more educated in pipe lore could probably jump in and let us know. Rad? Mabey the D P G?

Bd

Never Forget!
That is very interesting Bruce!