Dunhill My Mixture Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Since we have a rather widespread group, perhaps someone knows something about these My Mixture blends that they can share. I was spending quite a bit of time try to procure a tin of a My Mixture blend or blends that was on our favorite auction site recently. Got my hat handed to me every time it seemed. Not only was the blend numbers unknown to me, I had not seen these round and square tins before.

8oz in size, with both printed on and paper labels. I kept at it and acquired two tins. Haven't seen any more listed for a time, so I assume they have all been sold.

The first tin is square. Painted. Says "Personal Mixture", the no. written in marker is no. "A11010". On the bottom in marker is "600W 9-97".

The second tin is round. Paper label. Says "Dunhill My Mixture". Usual Dunhill information printed on the label. "Manufactured Under the Authority of Dunhill Tobacco of London Limited" Also says that there is "Tens of Thousands of separate My Mixture blends" Hand written in ink is no. "11010" "600W 4-95"

Anyone know which might be a blend number and which might be a customer number? Got any ideas of a blend description?

Inside the taped shut tins was a plastic bag with the tobacco. A bit on the dry side. Not dust. Mostly black pieces with a bit of brown ribbon. A lot of Latakia. What I consider a Dunhill type toasted flavor. Closest description I would compare it to is perhaps "White Spot". But I have never had "White Spot".

Mostly Latakia. Perhaps some toasted black Virginia. Maybe a little Turkish as the brown ribbon. I think it's very good. I have been very slowly bringing the moisture up. But it didn't really need much.

Dunhill blend A11010 used to be sold in the Dunhill stores in the USA. I bought it regularly in the 90s at the Dunhill store in Water Tower Place in Chicago. As I recall it was $40 per pound back then. It is a very nice medium English blend. Too bad it isn't sold here any longer.

drben":ci2ag867 said:
Dunhill blend A11010 used to be sold in the Dunhill stores in the USA. I bought it regularly in the 90s at the Dunhill store in Water Tower Place in Chicago. As I recall it was $40 per pound back then. It is a very nice medium English blend. Too bad it isn't sold here any longer.
Ah ha! This answers most of my question. I think these tins came from Water Tower Place. It is a nice English blend. I like the toasted flavor from one of the components used.

Makes me wonder what the 600W means.

Thanks drben! :D

Carlos,

I have a complete listing of all the Tinned Dunhill Blends and Custom My Mixture Blends that were available between the years of 1910 and 1990. I have tried to post it several times, however, it is too long and the system will not accept it as a reply. In fact I tried to break it up into several replies, but the system will not accept it. I get a warning that the post are too long.

I'd be happy to make this list available for you and other interested members to review, however, I am at a loss as to how I can accomblish that. If you, as a moderator, can post longer messages, I'd be happy to send you an email with the list attached. In any case, I'd be happy to send it to you for your information. I'll need your email address to do so. My email addy is [email protected]

Please advise, Johnny

ftrplt":fw95sksz said:
I would absolutely love to see/have that list!!!! Make It So!!!! FTRPLT
Me too! C'mon Carlos, we're counting on you!

If any of the Brothers or Sisters want a copy of the Dunhill Tobacco List, just send me an email requesting it and I'll sent it to you via a response to your email!!!

My email addy is [email protected]

As to the distribution of Dunhill pipe tobaccos into the North American market, Eric at Cupojoes posted the following information on group alt.smokers.pipes, and repeated to me in an email:

> Here's exactly what I said, and all that I can say at this time:
>
> "This summer, you will see the re-introduction of Dunhill tobaccos,possibly including > some previously discontinued blends. I am not at liberty to comment beyond that at >this time. Just relax and sit tight."

So we have cause for optimism, and will just have to have patience, awaiting further developments.

:D :D :D

Yes it would be great news, now we show our usual patience and wait. :lol!: Right!

When I posted this on another site another poster pointed out the BAT comment when questioned about N.A. distribution, which was basically. "no." My take on it is we are likely to see it coming from an "unofficial" distributor.

Do not read anything in to this statement, it is a guess on my part, it is not a statement based on knowledge and is not a statement by Eric at Cupojoes.

The scenario that occured to me is that one of the boutique tobacco producers may have arranged to import the products with the target of linking their own distribution to the Dunhill (and possibly other brands?). So that anyone who wanted to order Dunhill blends would have no reason not to order the other brand at the same time. If I had a smaller brand of blends that I wanted to get into wider distribution, and it seemed to just get lost on a big distributors list, this would seem to work. Everytime a store went to order their Dunhill, there would be the XYZ blends, and no problem with minimum order, etc.

Just a thought, but ... Oh and BAT doesn't have to decide that it doesn't generate enough sales to warrant their trouble, they wouldn't really be involved beyond the original production.

Oh and this scenario would explain why someone at the retail level would know about it, when it doesn't seem to be on the radar from the "biggies".

what do you think?

Al in Canada":jmlb9lrp said:
As to the distribution of Dunhill pipe tobaccos into the North American market, Eric at Cupojoes posted the following information on group alt.smokers.pipes, and repeated to me in an email:

> Here's exactly what I said, and all that I can say at this time:
>
> "This summer, you will see the re-introduction of Dunhill tobaccos,possibly including > some previously discontinued blends. I am not at liberty to comment beyond that at >this time. Just relax and sit tight."

So we have cause for optimism, and will just have to have patience, awaiting further developments.

:D :D :D
This Could be great news......I wonder who will be doing the blending? :pirat:

This Could be great news......I wonder who will be doing the blending?

I would assume it would be the same blender as in the E.U., just marketed here along less traditional lines. Without the manufacturer being involved in the importation and ultimate distribution.

This is just a guess. Do not attribute my opinion or guess to Eric at "Cupojoes"

Al in Canada":9b9ys96q said:
This Could be great news......I wonder who will be doing the blending?

I would assume it would be the same blender as in the E.U., just marketed here along less traditional lines. Without the manufacturer being involved in the importation and ultimate distribution.

This is just a guess. Do not attribute my opinion or guess to Eric at "Cupojoes"
I think I will attribute this opinion to Eric at "Cupojoes". Now, off to spread the rumor ...

Well thats gonna knock off the price on my tins of Murrys production. On the plus side I feel less bad about smokin what I got. :)