Dunhill OR Sommer VERCINGETORIX? Which do you think?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Well, I'm back and with a few more pipes, a box full really. Been really busy with trying to take care of things around here since my wife's stroke and my own set back of disabilities but, we're almost back to normal again.
I picked up another figural among many in the past month or two but, this one stands out from the rest I think. It Vercingetorix, not a Viking as many makers have stamped him. Now Sommer a french carver did these for Dunhill back in the 50's and did some with his own mark on them. Well, this one has neither but I'm led to believe it is a Sommer and may have not been marked because of a stain on the right behind his ear and below his hair line. Here is a picture of Dunhill's catalog showing the pipe and photos of Sommer's and, lastly my pipe. I think they're identical in every way. What you say?
sommer-dunhill1c.jpg

sommer-dunhill1a.jpg

sommer-dunhill1b.jpg

MINE, Now it's a bit shinier because I've clean and polished it but, haven't yet cleaned and polished the stem.
DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg
DSC00711.jpg

That is a handsome figural and imposing, I'd be glad he's looking away from you during the smoke! Good job on digging out the history. Someone recently told me "study the pipe, not the stamping", sounds like that was your method as well.

Glad to see you again, Cart. :D Missed seein' you around.

Identical? Hmmm. I'd say no. Extraordinarily similar with plausible roots from the maker? Perhaps. It's cool, nonetheless.

8)

Welcome back! Beautiful piece you have acquired. They look like came from the same mold.

Thank you all for the welcoming.
In correspondence to Kyle's response, I think your looking at it too hard. Yes the texture of the piece is rougher then the ones shown but, my photos are taken in a different light and angle. I also believe it was not really finished because again of the flaw. It looks like some stain or ink was spilled between the carving and sanding of the piece and the artist though why bother now with a final sanding. And I can almost hear him cuss in French F@#*&%?! when it happened. I see the lines of the carving to be identical but, we all can look at a painting and see different things so I understand that.

WOW thats sure some wonderful carving detail, thats must take days to carve. Congrats on your new additions buddy.

Well, okay.

Specifically? The wings on the helmet/headband (?) are carved completely different, and the character's hair is carved slightly differently. *shrug* This isn't a case of Mona Lisa's smile here. It very well might be the same carver... maybe that was one he cursed at and messed up, but not enough to smash it to bits into the fireplace. :lol:

It's still awesome. You just said "identical," and I'm not so sure. Here's a challenge: crop up the photo of the original, and take exact angle pictures of yours (to the best of your ability) and put them side-by-side. Hopefully we find Waldo. :)

Kyle, You looking at the same photos I am?

I do not like Figurals very much, but I must say that is a handsome piece of work. Very nice find.

I agree with you to some point about not liking them but, because there's some REALLY bad ones out there that do nothing but, waste Brier and Meerschaum. But I do like the well done ones, thank you sir.