Dunhill Royal Yacht in a bent Falcon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoodby

Reaction score
I waver back and forth about Royal Yacht, whether I like or love it. I think much of this has to do with my getting off of cigarettes, and the N content is high, so if I'm fiending for my N, I really love RY.

Regardless, I do find I really like the perfectly even ribbon cut of my 3 dunhill blends. Always consistent and easy to pack and smoke. Like most tobacco, I wish the end would last, much preferring the deep, full flavor you get for the last couple of minutes. Deeper pipe? Wider? Wetter? Not sure, still trying to figure that out.

--Alex

It's definitely a "love it/leave it" blend. Orlik's done a good job replicating the Murray blend and for those wanting that BIG NIC hit it does deliver that far more than some other "big hitters"! I now try to have a tin on hand and really find it nice as an end of day winter smoke! :p
P
(PS it's not one of the "IN" 'bacs favored here so you won't get much response about it :twisted: )

I wish the end would last, much preferring the deep, full flavor you get for the last couple of minutes. Deeper pipe? Wider? Wetter?
I believe the end of pipe flavor is the combination of oils and moisture. The steam presents the danger of tongue bite but it sure carries a lot of flavor.

I was just introduced to this blend a few days ago and ran out to buy a tin of my own. The guy who gave me a sample said it was one that you either loved or hated, and after a couple minutes of puffing I concluded that I love it! It reminds me of Three Nuns... At least, moreso than Three Friars, anyway. This will definitely be a regular in my rotation!

I've been eyeballing it for a while now maybe I'll throw a tin on my next order. I've also been looking for another tobacco with the big vitamin N kick.

monbla256":h3uphpp6 said:
It's definately a "love it/leave it" blend. Orlik's done a good job replicating the Murray blend and for those wanting that BIG NIC hit it does deliver that far more than some other "big hitters"! I now try to have a tin on hand and really find it nice as an end of day winter smoke! :p
P
(PS it's not one of the "IN" 'bacs favored here so you won't get much response about it :twisted: )
Well, in order to give some response to a rarely reviewed blend, I'll add my $.02.
I never tried the Murray's version but I smoked the Dunhill one as an alternate to MM965 for years. When the Orliks were re-introduced over here I bought a tin and happened to have on hand the remnants of a 25+ year old tin from Dunhill (bought at Tobak, LTD in Va Beach long, long ago). The tin was so old it was a 2 oz. pack, not 50 gr.
That the newest blend is different is readily apparent just looking at the two. The older, much darker, wider cut, and (when re-hydrated) sported a heavier tin note. In the pipe they were, again, different, but the new was a decent "tribute" to the old- both obviously Va based and fully matured. They were similar in flavor but the new not as deep or robust; both with a good N hit which is not quite as heavy as the old.
I enjoyed both until the last of the original was gone and now keep a fresh tin opened on hand always with a sealed backup.

Aristokles":7yqj84r0 said:
monbla256":7yqj84r0 said:
It's definately a "love it/leave it" blend. Orlik's done a good job replicating the Murray blend and for those wanting that BIG NIC hit it does deliver that far more than some other "big hitters"! I now try to have a tin on hand and really find it nice as an end of day winter smoke! :p
P
Well, in order to give some response to a rarely reviewed blend, I'll add my $.02.
I never tried the Murray's version but I smoked the Dunhill one as an alternate to MM965 for years. When the Orliks were re-introduced over here I bought a tin and happened to have on hand the remnants of a 25+ year old tin from Dunhill (bought at Tobak, LTD in Va Beach long, long ago). The tin was so old it was a 2 oz. pack, not 50 gr.
That the newest blend is different is readily apparent just looking at the two. The older, much darker, wider cut, and (when re-hydrated) sported a heavier tin note. In the pipe they were, again, different, but the new was a decent "tribute" to the old- both obviously Va based and fully matured. They were similar in flavor but the new not as deep or robust; both with a good N hit which is not quite as heavy as the old.
I enjoyed both until the last of the original was gone and now keep a fresh tin opened on hand always with a sealed backup.
I have smoked alot of the Murray's blended Dunhill's years ago, but only once got a chance to smoke some of their tobacco blended by THEM in London with some I got given to me by a friend when he came back from a trip to London back in thr '70s. It was some Mr. Alfreds Mixture, but was not to my liking at the time. As for today's Orlik blended Dunhill's, IMHO, Orlik has captured the taste, appearance, and aroma of the previous Murray blended 'bacs especially in a "fresh" tin as we used to prefer. My thirty+ yo tins I have ARE different than todays, but it is the effect of the ageing, not the blend itself. They ARE darker, more full in aroma, mouth feel and aroma than the new ones which to me, are more as I recall the "fresh" tins of Murray's blended back years ago. I find BOTH are very GOOD smoking 'bacs and can fully recomend the new ones :p

Well, monbla256, I do not outright disagree with your take on very old tins. In my case, the RY was dry to the point that no aging should have been happening. What I got out of the rejuvenated tobacco was consistent with my memories of what it did taste/smoke like before.
Never trying the Murray's version, I can't comment. That said, as I stated before I do like and keep the new Orlik one on hand.

I stopped smoking Dunhills after Murrays took over blending; for a short while they seemed the same but for me then changed.

I do wish other than RY and London Mixture that all these Orliks were more Murrays-like. But they are not and I have my favorite C&D's to fill my pipes.

Concerning Murray's, I was amazed to find out that they did not take over blending till 1981! Back then the 965 I smoked seemed just about the same as when I started smoking it back in the 70's. Maybe a bit "brighter" which is how i would describe today's Orlik blended Dunhill's compared to what I recall the Murray's I smoked in the 80's. Guess we all adapt as time goes by !! :p I smoke more of McC's blends these days anyway :p

IndySmoker":6tqmw3qb said:
I've been eyeballing it for a while now maybe I'll throw a tin on my next order. I've also been looking for another tobacco with the big vitamin N kick.
Well, Indy, this one has a fair amount of Vitamin N. ;) However, if you ever get your hands on some Three Nuns, that stuff is really packed with it. It's a little hard to come by here in the USA. I've heard it said that CS Lewis used to smoke 3N, and after one bowl of that I could see where the talking animals may have came from. ;) Like I said, this one reminds me of 3N, but doesn't quite get there. For me it's the best I can do for now, though.

IndySmoker":gboo290x said:

RY did it for me! Big vitamin-N kick but still very very smooth. Many of the brothers recommended it to me when I was having a nic fit. Ran out the next day and got me a tin at my B&M. This stuff happily turned me a bit :pale: and green. Just what I was looking for! :twisted:

I received my order of virginians last week and have been trying out like 8 or so new tobaccos. They all seem to have a good nic hit.

One in particular I'd recommend is sobrani's "Virginia Flake" 633. Nice virginia nicotine, with some perique added to make for a more flavorful smoke.

Is there a consensus on the flavor of the casing? I've never tried it, and I'm puzzled by the mystery of this blend. I've heard all the 'love it, hate it' comments, but I've never read a review of the true flavor. Just curious.

UniversalCode":kx5iu6ik said:
Is there a consensus on the flavor of the casing? I've never tried it, and I'm puzzled by the mystery of this blend. I've heard all the 'love it, hate it' comments, but I've never read a review of the true flavor. Just curious.
That is a very good question; one which I have pondered recently. I have read many reviews with "tastes like" descriptions, but nothing definitive. I have been smoking a bit of RY as my English alternative lately.

But when reading up on the flavor 'tonquin' while considering a trial of SG 1792 Flake I found a wiki article on tonquin beans which stated it was used in both SB 1792 and Dunhill RY.

I am going to try some 1792 (when I can find it) and see.

Aristokles":9xf75z5h said:
UniversalCode":9xf75z5h said:
That is a very good question; one which I have pondered recently. I have read many reviews with "tastes like" descriptions, but nothing definitive. I have been smoking a bit of RY as my English alternative lately.

But when reading up on the flavor 'tonquin' while considering a trial of SG 1792 Flake I found a wiki article on tonquin beans which stated it was used in both SB 1792 and Dunhill RY.

I am going to try some 1792 (when I can find it) and see.
In the world of tobacco blends/mixtures there can be no "... definative." concerning a blend/mixture's flavor. It has always been someones "impression" of what it taste's like :p Unless someone who actually adds whatever is added to ALL tobacco's comes out and write's down the actual FACTS it will always be someones "impression". I looked up 'Tonquin Bean" flavoring and found as many as 8 variety's of flavors used to describe it. I may agree with one, mabe two of the descriptions, and you may agree with only one different than mine, and another smoker says another flavor is "it". I say just smoke it, and decide for yourslef how it tatses and go from there. Sort of like the "Ketchup" thing with McC's 'bacs, I feel they DON"T smell like ketchup, someone else says they do. These are "impressions" given by someone and should be expressed as such.
As for Royal Yacht, having smoked several Lakelands blends and tasted the "old lady's soap" flavor the Tonquin Bean gives 'em, I DON"T get THAT aroma or flavor that is in them from RY. It does have something added to it, in fact in Dunhill's brochures, both from the '60s/'70s as well as today it states that there is a "piquant flavor added" . Anyone ever tasted a "piquant" recently?
JMHO :twisted:

Thus far I agree with NONE of them until I taste a blend which outright states it is so flavored.

And I DO know what piquant means - I cook tons of cajun/creole stuff. In MY tobacco world however my IMPRESSION would be perique.

Well, I revisit this topic because I was able to locate and buy a couple of tins of 1792 Flake last Thursday; and I have have spent several days trying to get a handle on this blend, tonquin/tonka taste in general, and whether RY also is so flavored. Yesterday i alternated small bowls of each, until I needed a nap.

Leaving aside notations that 1792 is in the thermonuclear range of nicotine bombs whereas Royal Yacht is more in the still robust but plain old fission yield, I couldn't swear that both are tonquin flavored. 1792 is so heavily flavored compared to RY's subtle flavoring that it is hard to really tell. I suspect tonquin bean is in both but can only state "maybe" for the Dunhill.

Powerful stuff, that 1792 Flake. One late night bowl is quite enough unless one has nothing else to do to attempt a midday smoke. Whew.