Dunhill Shell on eBay

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
So I've been combing through the eBay auctions lately, and stumbled across a Dunhill Shell Briar 111 F/T 3S from 1967... it appears to be in pretty good condition apart from the single tooth mark on the stem. I'm a little concerned the seller may be buffing the stem and stummel separately giving the characteristic rounded appearance at the stem/shank junction, but truthfully that's me just being nit-picky about the restoration job.

Can anyone with experience regarding vintage Dunhill Shell offer up their perspective on this pipe? It seems like a crazy good deal, but admittedly I'm rather inexperienced with vintage pipes. Any thoughts are helpful and appreciated

- Adam

Uhh, it's okay I'd say.

That pipe has had the bejesus buffed out of it for sure, and the button will be a bit worn down for that. Looks all right though. I don't see any dark marks, hot spot/burnout type stuff on the bowl, but that rim is charred to hell and back, I'll bet that thing looked like Vesuvius before it was buffed clean.

So I think the pipe is a decent risk, I'd make sure it's returnable if there's big damage in the chamber, but overall it looks original and authentic to me and about a 6.5/10 for condition.

Thanks for the response. I'll probably hold off on buying this one, I'm not necessarily in any hurry to buy a Dunhill. That's probably something I should research for a good while before pulling the trigger. Also, the Chicago show is quickly approaching and I should conserve resources for something that really grabs my attention first weekend in May.

I know that seller and follow his restoration progress via Facebook. I can't recall that specific page, but he typically does a nice job and doesn't over-restore. He knows pipe values very well and that this one is worn, hence his lower price and "offer" option. He usually lists his pipes at a top end BIN

I bought 2 Dunhills for $120. A 1945 Shell Briar and a 1980 Cumberland. Both are in perfect condition. They were in perfect condition when I bought them and they're still in perfect condition because I don't smoke them.

There's nothing to a Dunhill.

Buy 2 or 3 Savinelli estates for $160 and you will enjoy smokers bliss to no end.

You can even buy some MM cobs too and save a lot of money while smoking decent pipes