Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
London Mixture and Royal Yacht are two of my favorite blends; while there are blends similar to London Mixture, Royal Yacht is unique.  I really love the Dunhill ribbon-cut in general...so many other brands/blends look fish food in comparison.

I've been fond of Dunhill Flake for some years now, and also appreciate the Navy Rolls. Only recently discovered the delights of Royal Yacht, and frankly was prepared to dislike it based on some reviews. Took a few bowls to acquire the taste, but I did and it stuck.

And recently had the pleasure of the recently released Dark Flake through a very generous brother here. This is good right now but has great ageing potential.

I've been a fan of the Three Year Matured Virginia from the previous blender Murray's, but not had the current iteration. Plus I've smoked EMP and London Mixture when I was into Lat-blends.

So count me in as a fan, and it would be a terrible shame to see these being disco'd to us in the future!

:no:

Cheers?

RR

Oh yah, I forgot The Royal Yacht. I think I had good notes regarding that one. A potent Ginny.

I can already see my next month's TAD.....

Yes....very very sad to think that the Royal Yacht may be dropping anchor for good. And Durbar...no...say it ain't so.

I cant understand this news though....they just brought out a bunch of new blends. I hope its just a rumour.

Psmith":cjb7vegv said:
I cant understand this news though....they just brought out a bunch of new blends.  I hope its just a rumour.
It's not a rumor, mate, coming from the mouth (ok, the fingers) of the boss of the very US distributor.
And, maybe that is exactly why they released all these new tobaccos over the last 6 months, or so.

Well being situated in Asia and regularly travelling between Japan, China and Korea I see Dunhill everywhere because its an ubiquitous brand here.  Their chunk in the cigarette market is huge...at any mart Dunhill cigs take up 1/3 of the the cigarette rack and the counter area is plastered with Dunhill ads.
And then there is the clothes.  Dunhill is a high-end clothing brand here selling suits, pants, jackets and they are in pretty much every department store.  Not cheap stuff though.

So, to us pipe-smokers its a huge thing that Dunhill pipe tobaccos will disappear in the near future but to Dunhill it may be really small potatoes considering they have Jude Law as their main model for their clothing line for well-to-do Asian consumers.

Frankly I have a hard time believing that Dunhill is doomed. They've been around a long time and will continue to be so. No matter who the owner or producer is.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":uiz07rs0 said:
Frankly I have a hard time believing that Dunhill is doomed. They've been around a long time and will continue to be so. No matter who the owner or producer is.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR
If the luxury goods wing of the Dunhill brand were ever to be threatened by the stigma of tobacco, the latter could find itself dumped quicker than flash.
People will always be buying luxury clothes and goods. It's debatable how long people will be smoking tobacco for.

Cold Smoke":0ervmbzg said:
Brewdude":0ervmbzg said:

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

If the luxury goods wing of the Dunhill brand were ever to be threatened by the stigma of tobacco, the latter could find itself dumped quicker than flash.
People will always be buying luxury clothes and goods. It's debatable how long people will be smoking tobacco for.

Cold Smoke, I find it interesting that you responded to this as your very first post after registering in '16. You haven't yet introduced yourself in the welcome wagon forum either.

Not saying you have an agenda here, nor to dismiss your views out of hand. But it would be helpful to all of us to get to know you first.

We're a very close knit small community here, and encourage all input. So if you could give us a snapshot of you that would be welcome.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":fngr33h6 said:
Cold Smoke":fngr33h6 said:
Brewdude":fngr33h6 said:

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

Cold Smoke, I find it interesting that you responded to this as your very first post after registering in '16. You haven't yet introduced yourself in the welcome wagon forum either.

Not saying you have an agenda here, nor to dismiss your views out of hand. But it would be helpful to all of us to get to know you first.

We're a very close knit small community here, and encourage all input. So if you could give us a snapshot of you that would be welcome.

Cheers,

RR
Nothing particularly interesting and no agenda, it's basic economics and brand management. Dunhill will be looking to manage their brand for the long term and could easily decide the stigma of tobacco is no longer worth risking sale of other Dunhill branded goods.

Beyond that, forgive me for intruding into your community. I shall go back to lurking.

RANDE, you hit it right on the head.... " old bean " as Stick would say...lol. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Cold Smoke, your not intruding at all. Please have more to say within this forum. Not only might you learn something new, we can also learn from you. Welcome to the BoB

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":1re6p6rf said:
Cold Smoke, your not intruding at all. Please have more to say within this forum. Not only might you learn something new, we can also learn from you. Welcome to the BoB

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
What Ted said. I'm not trying to run you off Cold Smoke, only to get to know you better. Please step out from the lurking mode and join us on a regular basis.

Cheers,

RR

From what understand, BAT owns the rights to the Dunhill tobacco name only and not the luxury goods side of it. The industry folks seem to think that BAT's decision to discontinue the pipe tobaccos is about profit vs. risk and that they probably won't sell the rights to the name because the Dunhill cigarette line is still a cash cow for them as they're actually involved in the production side, obviously they're not with the pipe tobaccos where Orlik is licensed to use the name on their products.

Cool Smoke does have a valid point in that smoking is becoming more and more marginalized, but BAT is big tobacco and not trying to distance themselves from the name, only the less profitable arrangement with Orlik, in a risk/reward sense.

One could surmise, that if BAT is going to be associated with a product that carries a health risk, they want control of that product, and they don't do pipe tobacco and have no interest in doing pipe tobacco.

Whatever may happen, I'm stocking up some of my favorites now. It's weird, they seemed to be on the upswing real hard lately. All the blends coming back the past few years, and boom it's gone.

Jevverrett":e14qhooq said:
Whatever may happen, I'm stocking up some of my favorites now. It's weird, they seemed to be on the upswing real hard lately. All the blends coming back the past few years, and boom it's gone.
Yup. This!

Cheers,

RR