E-mail question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been having an occasional problem when composing e-mail. After I compose the text my hand or finger accidentally brushes on some key and the text disappears. Clicking on the go back icon doesn't restore it. Is there any way to undo this? None of the text was highlighted so if I hit delete by mistake this shouldn't happen.

I should add that I'm using a newer version of Firefox. There's got to be a way of restoring the text so that I don't have to type it all over again. It auto saves every minute or so but where it goes is unknown and very annoying.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

Check your draft folder and sent folder. Not sure this will work, but it is the only thing I can think of. Good luck. :cyclops:

Not sure why this is happening Rande. I can't think of a simple command that would delete an entire text; sounds more like an instability in the platform you're using?

To protect yourself from that 'darn it' moment, for the time being I'd recommend composing in Word (or similar), cutting and pasting. Bit of a pain but until you figure out what's happening it would save you a good deal of time.

It doesn't go into a draft or sent folder. I checked that already. Next time I'll try the CTL+z.

Frankly I'd love to have a keyboard that didn't have all the keys on a standard one as I never use any shortcut keys and they're a damn nuisance.

And I've thought about using word to compose and then c&p but that's too many steps for just e-mail.

Bugger!

Cheers,

RR

I don't know how the Firefox app works for phones or tablets, but if you're on a PC, you can:

history > recently closed tabs > "post reply"

*"post reply" is merely an example of what you'll see in "recently closed tabs" if you had just been typing on a message board and lost your reply for some reason before you had hit Send. it will show up differently here and there.

**you'll also see "recently closed windows" just below "recently closed tabs", and sometimes your lost typing can also be found there.

***also, as others have said, if you're typing in an email client, like gmail/hotmail/etc, it should periodically be saving your typing. it automatically does this, and until you send or delete that, it is also automatically stored in your Drafts folder. One little tidbit is to not fill in the email you're sending to until last. Fill in the subject line. Write your email. Then fill in the email address very last, just before you hit send. It will be saved in your Draft folder, and the email client can't send it anywhere because it doesn't know where to send it. It's a little insurance thing if you're having odd problems with your keyboard or device.

Zeno Marx":0fdgcpmd said:
I don't know how the Firefox app works for phones or tablets, but if you're on a PC, you can:

history > recently closed tabs > "post reply"

*"post reply" is merely an example of what you'll see in "recently closed tabs" if you had just been typing on a message board and lost your reply for some reason before you had hit Send.  it will show up differently here and there.

**you'll also see "recently closed windows" just below "recently closed tabs", and sometimes your lost typing can also be found there.

***also, as others have said, if you're typing in an email client, like gmail/hotmail/etc, it should periodically be saving your typing.  it automatically does this, and until you send or delete that, it is also automatically stored in your Drafts folder.  One little tidbit is to not fill in the email you're sending to until last.  Fill in the subject line.  Write your email.  Then fill in the email address very last, just before you hit send.  It will be saved in your Draft folder, and the email client can't send it anywhere because it doesn't know where to send it.  It's a little insurance thing if you're having odd problems with your keyboard or device.
Sounds like great advice. Thanks Zeno I'll try that.

Cheers,

RR

I should also say that if you're accidentally deleting text, as when you're typing or stopped typing, or accidentally hitting a key that is deleting typing, or something that is deleting the typing in the box, that's difficult to get back. In those situations, message board boxes or email clients will perceive that as you intentionally deleting the text.

I used to have a malfunctioning keyboard that would act whacky and sometimes delete text as I was typing. If I couldn't get it back with ctrl+V, it was gone for good. That was a case of malfunctioning hardware. Software doesn't tend to recognize that as malfunction vs intent. If you think it is hardware error, then do what Stick says. Write in Word or Open Office, save, and then post to board or email.

Zeno Marx":9t56jgba said:
I should also say that if you're accidentally deleting text, as when you're typing or stopped typing, or accidentally hitting a key that is deleting typing, or something that is deleting the typing in the box, that's difficult to get back.  In those situations, message board boxes or email clients will perceive that as you intentionally deleting the text.

I used to have a malfunctioning keyboard that would act whacky and sometimes delete text as I was typing.  If I couldn't get it back with ctrl+V, it was gone for good.  That was a case of malfunctioning hardware.  Software doesn't tend to recognize that as malfunction vs intent.  If you think it is hardware error, then do what Stick says.  Write in Word or Open Office, save, and then post to board or email.
This is exactly what is happening. Just the same thing as if I'd highlighted and then hit delete. Only in this case I didn't highlight and don't know what key I brushed by mistake.

The delete key is on the top right and that could very well be what I'm striking clumsily. And then again it could be some other key. In any case it seems to come after an action with my right hand. Maybe that's a clue. Yet I didn't highlight anything so why would it delete entire lines of text?!

Someone suggested I compose a test email and then strike random keys to see if I can replicate this under a controlled condition. Think I'll try that and then pry off the damn key. I never use anything but letters and numbers so have no use for any other keys.

Cheers,

RR

The same thing happens to me. Although, I'm never near the delete key, sometimes I think I brush the curser keys on my laptop and the words or paragraphs disappear. I am using a laptop. Are you? If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know what I find.

Corncobcon":p71cndy4 said:
The same thing happens to me.  Although, I'm never near the delete key, sometimes I think I brush the curser keys on my laptop and the words or paragraphs disappear.  I am using a laptop.  Are you?  If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know what I find.
Nope. Desktop.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR