E. P. Carrillo Limited Edition 2011 Dark Rituals Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
This is my first cigar review and I’ve only smoked one of these cigars. Don’t look for nuanced tasting of cedar, leather, etc. here. Moreover it usually takes me five or six cigars to arrive at a firm opinion of what I do taste, and sometimes close to a box. I was far afield about the AF Don Carlos until cigar 13. For now these are my opinions subject to later revision and clarification.

I paid $124.00 for a box of 10 of these 6.5 X 56 cigars from Atlantic Cigar; is the price justified? I don’t think the mystique has swayed my opinion when I say that not only is the price justified but that I would rank this smoke above my other favorites, the Ashton VSG, the aforementioned Don Carlos, Padron Anniversary 1926 Maduro No. 2, Oliva Master Blends 3 and AF Anejo, which of these I find astonishingly and delightfully complex. I’ve concluded that in cigars, like most things, you get what you pay for. Just now, I really do enjoy uber-premium cigars more, to the extent that I’m motivated to continue to seek them out.

Now to the cigar. The write-up said it was full-flavor and full-strength. Although I agree it was full-strength, The Master Blends 3, VSG and Padron are quite a bit stronger. Their nicotine drips from every puff. This cigar was more of what’s called a “creeper”; in the final third I kept waiting for the experience of nicotine-induced high-intensity, but it didn’t come; that came instead in the final quarter, and as I had my first nicotine sneeze there, I sadly put the cigar down after two more puffs. The nausea just isn’t worth it.

As regards flavor, I felt it fell short of full, but as the cigar developed into the second third, I found myself very much enjoying it. How to describe it? It had multiple flavors and developed over the course of the cigar, which I suppose is a two-part definition of complexity. I couldn’t help admire the refined fermentation and selection of its leaves.
I think I’ve developed an appreciation for less finely-blended but finely fermented tobacco that I taste in many other cigars; if I only get that flavor I am impressed but not satisfied. I’ve only tasted what I find to be the fermentation and blending elevated to such a high degree in this cigar and the Don Carlos. The leaf in this cigar must have years of age.

Other than the fine fermentation, what were the tastes? First, I must have missed the darkness alluded to in the name; I would bet that that appreciation will come in the next few cigars. But I cannot say I tasted that darkness in the way I taste it in the VSG. Sometimes a piquant note peaked through. Overall I would say that refinement of taste won out over full-flavor, oft-times in such a way that I marveled.

The cigar clocked out at one hour and twenty minutes, but I was smoking it fast, greedy for the new experience. In the future I’m guessing I’ll get and hour and thirty to forty minutes.

Nice review. I have to get my hands on one and try it for myself. I don't suppose you'd be interested in trading one for a Tatutaje Wolfman?

I forgot to say that the Dark Rituals has an Oscuro Maduro (origin not given) wrapper, an Ecuadorian Sumatra binder and Nicaraguan filler.

Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to share the experience. 8)

I've smoked 7 of the Dark Rituals and my more seasoned opinion is: dark, rich, complex; one of the best cigars I've smoked.

Having smoked seven of these cigars, I have a more insightful review to offer; I don’t believe I will review a cigar after having smoked only one again. The big ones can review a cigar or pipe tobacco in one take; perhaps I’ll be there in a few more years.

I paid $124.00 for a box of 10 of these 6.5 X 56 cigars from Atlantic Cigar; is the price justified? I find this cigar’s flavors to be delightful, unique, full and complex. I’d buy another two boxes today were I not on the trail of Cubans and were credit card companies not sighting, at this very moment, a head-shot.

Now to the cigar. The write-up said it was full-flavor and full-strength. Although I agree it was full-strength, The Oliva Master Blends 3, Ashton VSG and Padron Anniversary 1926 are quite a bit stronger. The E. P. Carrillo cigar was full, but not so intensely full. Also of note is that a full-strength cigar often overwhelms the flavor in the final third; not so here.

Also, the aging was very apparent. I’ve developed an appreciation for less finely-blended but finely fermented tobacco that I taste in many other cigars; if I only get that flavor I am impressed but not satisfied.

I’ve only tasted what I find to be the fermentation and blending elevated to such a high degree in this cigar and the Don Carlos.

Other than the fine fermentation, what were the tastes? First, I have tasted the darkness alluded to in the name only once. (Call me a tasting dunce; I already have a hat.) Overall I would say that refinement of taste won out over full-flavor, oft-times in such a way that I marveled.