Eames Lounge Chair

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I have an office chair that is sort of like an Eames Lounge Chair, but not really. I've always liked the design and have considered getting one at various point in my life. A knockoff. I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for the real deal. Anyone have one and use it for a smoking chair? A decent knock off used to be around $300, but they've gone up a bit.

https://store.hermanmiller.com/livi...lounge-chair-and-ottoman/5667.html?lang=en_US

I got a Stressless Magic Chair/ottoman for my smoking chair that looks sort of like yours with the adjustable head rest last year for less than half that price. It’s starting to break in and become very comfortable. I love that it swivels and slightly rocks.

My smoking chair back in Wisconsin is a very expensive Stickley Bow Arm Morris Chair/ottoman. It’s heirloom quality but it’s unforgiving. I love the wood arms are like having a side table but after 6 months away it takes time for my body to adjust to it,

They're now around $650, whereas just a couple years ago, they were $300-350. Today's shipping costs crush big items like furniture.
The one you linked to said $8,000. I thought that was the knock-off you were referencing. (In my mind, a Herman Miller Eames chair is a knock-off.)

(In my mind, a Herman Miller Eames chair is a knock-off.)
What chair is that? We were discussing it on another board awhile back and I looked it up then can’t remember the name now.

The one you linked to said $8,000. I thought that was the knock-off you were referencing. (In my mind, a Herman Miller Eames chair is a knock-off.)
"designed by Charles and Ray Eames for the Herman Miller furniture company. They are officially titled Eames Lounge and Ottoman and were released in 1956 after years of development by designers." Herman Miller is the real deal.

We've got 4 original classic Eames chairs that are older than either of us. To me they are an absurd non functional design proven by their fragility, but my wife insists they are worth something and won't let me burn them. She did have an Eames Lounge and Ottoman and complained it was uncomfortable and could not be adjusted, and even worse without the ottoman. She got rid of it (must have been a knock-off.) If you like what you have good for you. If you want another maybe better to try before you buy.

We've got 4 original classic Eames chairs that are older than either of us. To me they are an absurd non functional design proven by their fragility, but my wife insists they are worth something and won't let me burn them. She did have an Eames Lounge and Ottoman and complained it was uncomfortable and could not be adjusted, and even worse without the ottoman. She got rid of it (must have been a knock-off.) If you like what you have good for you. If you want another maybe better to try before you buy.
She's right. They're worth something, possibly a lot.

"designed by Charles and Ray Eames for the Herman Miller furniture company. They are officially titled Eames Lounge and Ottoman and were released in 1956 after years of development by designers." Herman Miller is the real deal.
I'll be deep fat fried. I thought the Eames chair originated as a craftsman piece.

My mum bought a real Eames chair and foot rest and never regretted paying the thousands of dollars it cost her as she said it was the most comfortable chair she ever sat in. She did knitting and TV watching in it mostly but was very happy how comfortably it adjusted to whatever she was doing. After her passing and using it to watch telly I think the same.

FYI…

96477DB1-F3CC-41DE-ACF0-EDFAB448A1E8.jpeg

Years ago, Ikea had a very good close to a copy of the Eames chair, which I purchased. After a couple of years and some spills the bonded leather looked crappy and the veneer started to separate from the laminate. Thankfully, I retained my sales receipt and brought it in with photographs of the chair. While there was no warranty on the chair, I was given a free Poang chair frame, with an allowance for cushions. I bought another Poang chair+two ottomans and leather cusions for everything. The Poang chairs still look like new because no one ever sits in them.

Herman Miller! Absolutely top of the line ... but a chair is a very personal thing. If it fits you well it can be wonderful to use. If it doesn't fit you well it can be a torture device.

My father in law had a knock off of the one you showed. He liked it but he was much shorter than I am.

I'd never order one online that I hadn't tried out an identical one first.

I just can't get into mid-century modern design in anything. My favorite chair is a red leather wing chair that used to be in the living room until it got too shabby for public areas ;). So now it's in the "study"; the cushion wore out a long time ago and I covered it with scrap cloth. Sometimes it's a temporary catch-all for whatever I have in my hands when I come into the room, but it's like a familiar old friend. They may have to bury me with it.

nE04nGOl.jpg