Earl Grey Drinkers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beetlejazz":j0xalroa said:
Why have I been in the belief that Bancha is steamed, not roasted, giving it that specifically Japanese flavour? :scratch:

Anyway, I don't think Lapsang Souchong is anything like Bancha. I think Simple Man nailed it with "a cup of campfire". Personally I have had trouble tasting much tea in it, really, the smoke aroma is so strong. But I know some people are absolutely crazy about it!

When it comes to black teas, of the British/India variety, I'm a total sucker for a good Darjeeling.
One you get used to Lapsang, the smokiness doesn't overwhelm you like it does the first time or two and you really will start noticing the taste of the tea as well. At least that has been my experience, but it's like I said, it is definitely not for everyone.

Here's another tea I really enjoy. It's really full of flavor, the only obstacle with the Monk's Blend is to make sure it doesn't steep too long.

http://www.theteaport.com/monks-blend/

Hmm, think I'll make a cup of this right now. :D

Puff Daddy":nyy7zhvx said:
As a side note, don't let yourself runout of a good black tea, be it Earl Grey or whatever. It's like running out of burleyweed. When you go looking for some, nothing else will do. I drink a black tea called Yunnan Noir ( http://t7tea.com/product-info.php?Yunan-Noir-Black-TEA-pid183.html ... http://www.teareviewblog.com/?p=19615 ) and didn't reorder until I realized I was out. It's not arrived yet and I'm sitting here staring into my pu'erh box (it's the only tea left in the house) and I'm just not feeling it :cry:

Meh, coffee today I guess.....
This stuff sounds right up my alley. I am going to place an order this week. I am planning on purchasing more Earl Grey, some of this and the smallest possible amount on the Lapsang Souchong.

Beetle - It's quite possible that Bancha is steamed as a part of the processing, I am no tea expert but I almost 100% certain that it's pan roasted, most likely over a wood fire. My favorite Bancha so far is from Choice Organic Teas. It's got a very delicate smoky aroma and flavor, the perfect balance of tannins and a subtle vegetal sweetness. Really nice stuff.

As far as green teas go, I also like Japanese peasant tea Genmaicha. When I quit coffee temporarily several years ago I drank this to ween myself off the bean sauce. The roasted brown rice adds a nice body to the tea as well as a earthy grain-flavor that I found to be a nice substitute to coffee. Peet's Coffee has a wonderful loose Genmaicha as well as a really nice Lungching Dragonwell. Other than these, I am most a Black tea person. ;)

I just wanted to jump in and say thanks for this thread. I'm a fan of Earl Grey (fan of teas in general, really) but my experience has been eerily similar, mostly sticking with Twinning's or RofT. Lot's of good suggestions in here to sift through!

idbowman":ndjcolss said:
I just wanted to jump in and say thanks for this thread. I'm a fan of Earl Grey (fan of teas in general, really) but my experience has been eerily similar, mostly sticking with Twinning's or RofT. Lot's of good suggestions in here to sift through!
I really like these two Earl Grey's a lot. There's something special about the balance of Twining's bergamot application, especially in the loose leaf product. Whether or not the tea is of highest quality I am not sure, but Twining's flavoring is perfect really. I have only had RofT's Earl Greyer in round tea bag form. I drink it at work and the tea bags are very convient. I like it better than Twining's bags.

Overall I guess I am just looking to branch out a little and learn a bit about what other's prefer.

GeoffC":j18s2h6j said:
All I can say is until I had this I haven't been drinking earl grey. Fresh tea makes big difference.

http://www.rishi-tea.com/product/gram-tin-earl-grey-tin-organic-fair-trade-black-tea/black-tea
This looks like something I would rather smoke then drink:

EarlGrey_L.jpg

There is something very ”Earl Grey-ish” about
Twinings Earl Grey, in the same way that there is something
unmistakeably ”English Blend-ish” about Nightcap.
I could drive myself crazy searching for finer, more esoteric examples
of each, but I don't find it necessary. Both are perfectly serviceable, and
satisfying.
And together, they are the cornerstones of my
morning ritual.

Cheers!

The wife and I were in World Market this evening and I spotted a large tin of Twinings Earl Grey loose leaf, so I glommed onto it. Smells great! Will be my morning cup tomorrow, looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip boys ;)

Hmmm, so. Interesting. First cup. My initial sniff of the brewed tea was a flashback to mom using Lemon Pledge on the china hutch when I was a kid. I'm getting an initial taste of Lemon Pledge, but it could just be my flashback hanging around. Not necessarily a bad thing, haven't enjoyed a good flashback since the 70's :mrgreen: . The bergamot and the black tea work well together, slightly malty, citrus impression without being too citrussy, sometimes mild chocolate with blood orange comes to mind. This is a palate waker upper for sure, I can see why people like it for a morning cup. Gets the mouth salivating, not dry. I'd not connect drinking this while smoking a heavy latakia laced English blend, but then I guess I'd have to try it and see, as you never know. It's good, quite unusual. Not like any crappy Earl Grey in a bag shidt I've had before, not at all. This is totally unique and seemingly unrelated to that stuff. I'm gonna groove on this stuff for a few days and get back to ya 8)

Harlock999":abrghwwd said:
There is something very ”Earl Grey-ish” about
Twinings Earl Grey, in the same way that there is something
unmistakeably ”English Blend-ish” about Nightcap.
I could drive myself crazy searching for finer, more esoteric examples
of each, but I don't find it necessary. Both are perfectly serviceable, and
satisfying.
And together, they are the cornerstones of my
morning ritual.

Cheers!
My sentiments exactly. I had a cup Saturday morning and it was very satisfying. I still like it better than anything else I have had so far. Including a few that I just recently sampled Taylors of Harrogath, and Harney & Son.

Puff Daddy":abrghwwd said:
Not like any crappy Earl Grey in a bag shidt I've had before, not at all.
Totally. The Twinings EG tea bag version isn't even the deranged cousin of the Loose Leaf variety. :p Totally different product.

I've been drinking the Twinings EG loose leaf exclusively for a few days now. Still get that initial Lemon Pledge blast at first, but it soon mellows out and doesn't bother me like I thought it might. Getting used to it I suppose. It's very enjoyable, the wife likes it, easily available, will keep it on hand. I like it better than most loose teas that I've mail ordered away for, better than anything else I can get in the store.

12toneman":i8p8hr3i said:
harney and sons. they have several type: sumpreme, organic, etc. my fav: their regular earl grey blend.
http://www.harney.com/earl-grey.html
Thanks for the link man, Picked up a few things I havent tried including the Lobseng everyone on here mentioned. I love smokey Islay scotch and English blend tobacs so I should like this as well. Prices were very reasonable as well.

Got the Lapsang and enjoying it tremendously as I write this. Drinking it neat, not sure if I need anything else in it. Very tasty. Although taste isn't that strong the aroma is. I think it works though.

Paul 2.0":6g69nnrw said:
Got the Lapsang and enjoying it tremendously as I write this. Drinking it neat, not sure if I need anything else in it. Very tasty. Although taste isn't that strong the aroma is. I think it works though.
Lapsang Souchong varies greatly depending on where you order it from. I prefer the stronger, smokier Lapsangs. I'm really pleased to see that I made another convert. The stuff is delicious! :D

Simple Man":4kep1at1 said:
Paul 2.0":4kep1at1 said:
Lapsang Souchong varies greatly depending on where you order it from. I prefer the stronger, smokier Lapsangs. I'm really pleased to see that I made another convert. The stuff is delicious! :D
Picked up the version from Harney & Sons. Came in a tin, looks like 3oz of Mississippi Mud smells like Laphroaig. I am a convert indeed. Would have never found this stuff if it wasn't for this thread.

Paul 2.0":689nt0m4 said:
I am still waiting to order my Lapsang. But expect a full report when I get it.

Paul, where did you order your's from?

DrumsAndBeer":r3nazx5v said:
Paul 2.0":r3nazx5v said:
I am still waiting to order my Lapsang. But expect a full report when I get it.

Paul, where did you order your's from?
Harney.com
used the ole 'if I get something, get the wife something' trick

Kind of went nuts on the tea thing as of late. Ended up doing 4 orders within 3 weeks. So I am good on tea....after this next order for Christmas. Nice addition to diversions and whatnot.

We went through a big tin of Twinings, then moved on to a couple others. Bought some EG Metropolitan and some Buckingham Palace Garden Party from The English Tea Store. The latter is a mix of EG and Jamine tea. It's pretty good, has more going on but lacks the oomph of Twinings. My reason for wanting to search out some others was the fact that Twinings is built on small chopped bits of tea rather than whole leaf. I wonder how much better an EG could be if built on some really good whole leaf tea. So far, everything seems to be built on a chopped tea, lower grade leaf, even those claiming to be higher grade leaf like ETS claims. It isn't. The Twinings is still the better stuff thus far, and given the price, gonna be hard to beat.