eBay account hack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Found myself in an interesting position today. I picked up a mystery parcel at the post office. Turns out it contained a pipe from an eBay seller. Only problem was I hadn't bid, won or paid for this item! :confused: :confused:

The parcel and enclosed packing slip had my full name and address, which is disturbing, but the eBay user name was wrong. I checked my accounts immediately, of course, but neither eBay nor PayPal had any record of me bidding or paying for it.

Emailed the seller and called eBay; apparently someone has hacked one or more of the three accounts affected (the real buyer, the seller or me). I changed my eBay and PayPal passwords as a general precaution, but i'll be watching the accounts closely for the next little while to make sure there's no monkey business going on.

I've been buying and selling on eBay for years. This is the first time things have gone sideways like this. Thankfully, I'm in the least uncomfortable position of those involved, and I'm not out any cash. Will be interesting to see if eBay can get to the bottom of things; I'd like to know that my personal information is secure out there.....

There should be no way for a seller to get access to names & addresses of other ebayers in the absence of a sale.

Oh. I had assumed prior transactions with the seller, something in common. Yeah, that would rile me.

Yep. No priors with the seller. And an eBay packing slip with my name & address. Ebay needs to step up its security game.

Sadly I doubt anyone wiuld take the time to make up a false ebay packing slip just for fun. ?

ontariopiper":08n8vfx6 said:
Sadly I doubt anyone wiuld take the time to make up a false ebay packing slip just for fun. ?

Well are you going to tell us a little about the free pipe you got? :p

Ha! I doubt it will stay with me one way or the other! ? It's an old Bavarian style pipe with a painted ceramic bowl. Not in great shape and probably made for the tourist trade.

Could possibly be a computer glitch on eBay's part. Unfortunately in this day and age your information is always at risk. Good choice to change passwords. Those old Bavarian pipes are a very narrow market. Really odd you should get something like that.

Jim