EBay Meers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

Reaction score
I have a question for the more experienced among you. The meers I have bought have all come from my local shop so know the quality. Tonight I was looking on EBay and I'm seeing meers that have color (blue, brown, purple, and various patterns of color). How is this normal? I thought meers were white in color. Is this "coloring" hiding something?

As you no doubt already know Preacher, Meers will color over time and smoking. But the colors are more to the brown or yellow-brown end of the spectrum. Can't say as I've seen one that had the other colors you describe. Something doesn't sound right.

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR

When I worked in a tobacco shop back in 2002, we had clay meerschaum pipes.  The pipes were carved and then covered with colored clay, then baked. The color of the clay was absorbed in the finish of the pipe. The ones we carried had a rusticated finish.  I wish I would have purchased one, but never did. They were just funky looking.

I can’t for the life of me see that as being a natural colour for meerschaum, the only ones I’ve seen (new) are almost white in colour. Sounds to me like they’ve added the stain to funk things up a bit. Being naturally porous the meerschaum would take the stain well.

Even AKB Meers (the ones SP carries) has a series of "colored" pipes. Some are colored all over, some just "fumed" at the top. Others are colored, then the desired pattern (diamonds, lines, circles, etc.) is carved into the bowl. Not my cup of tea, but someone must like them; they seem to sell! I'm old school...Gimme' white and I'll color it:cheers: FTRPLT