Edgar Rice Burroughs: Mars Series

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Soshae

Reaction score
I purchased the 3 volume assembly that was published by Disney Press. For years I tried to put together all of the books that make up the series.

It is unfortunate that the John Carter movie bombed. It would have been nice to see the Prince of Barsoom invading the Temple of Iss.

I enjoyed the flick although t seemed to add a bit to the two ERB books it was adapted from. I did dig out my ancient paperbacks of the series (from my high school days, or earlier) I lack the last two of the series but I remember back then being really bored with the later books and don't think (?) I'll start hunting those now.

Did he not also do a short Venus based series?

I don't know if he did one or if it linked up with the mars series or not... I was surprised when
I learned that he wrote Tarzan. There's a lot of classic stuff I'm just discovering myself...

You can read quite a few of his books for free from Google Books.
I have the app on my phone, it is great. They have scanned hundreds of thousands (millions?) of books from major Libraries around the country. You can find some amazing stuff for free that is in the public domain.

I agree with that too. I got most of mine from Amazon for free on my kindle. Lots of classic stuff... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar rice Burroughs, Poe, Shakespeare, even books on pipe smoking and fly fishing.

Hollywood will botch anything by adding sugar, salt and vinegar. It's a junk food analogy but seems apt.

The rare good adaptation, like "The Bourne Identity" or "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," is a lovely thing to discover.

I just wanted to speak up for Edgar Rice Burroughs. His e-texts are freely available online and can provide many hours of pleasurable reading. Pulp but imaginative with a dusting of insightful.

I just finished reading the first five books in this series. The first three were by far the best, but the fourth and fifth weren't bad.