Edgeworth flake made by Larus

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docwatson

Reaction score
I know that life can't be very exciting when one of my highlights this month was finding an Unopened 1 pound tin of the Original Edgeworth Flake made by Larus Brothers dated with a 1926 federal stamp!!! It was not dryed out, and I couldn't wait to load a bowl. Burley is one of my favorite smokes and this did not disappoint. I'll post some photos later this week of this treasure that was found. :D 

I can't smoke Burley but, for one who can enjoy it, it sounds like the find of the century.
Now, if I could find same in Escudo all will be well.:D 

That tobacco is older than alot of members here and that is saying something. What happens to tobacco at almost 90 years?

Heck, If it's still moist and aint moldy or rusty, I might even be able to smoke it.

JKenP":vjju58cl said:
Are you sure it is by Larus?

It smacks of Lazarus.
:)  Now that was funny :lol: 

Doc, that's a helluva find!! I'd be more interested in that than the Sobranie madness that is so prevalent in the estate tobacco market. Some 90 year old Edgeworth! Amazing! :cheers: 

docwatson":u82ycoqi said:
I know that life can't be very exciting when one of my highlights this month was finding an Unopened 1 pound tin of the Original Edgeworth Flake made by Larus Brothers dated with a 1926 federal stamp!!! It was not dryed out, and I couldn't wait to load a bowl. Burley is one of my favorite smokes and this did not disappoint. I'll post some photos later this week of this treasure that was found. :D 
 How the hell do you "find" a pound of tobacco laying around since 1926?

Do much cleaning around your house? LOL...I guess.

JKenP":bwfa8fpd said:

It smacks of Lazarus.
:lol!: :lol!: 

Yes, it was brought back from the dead.

A friend owns an antique shop in Rockport, Maine and one of his dealers brought it in. I don't know where she acquired it. But I shall certainly try to find out. The tin had some slight rust on the outside but it was only surface and not rusted through at all. When my friend said he had something for me and brought out the tin I told him i have plenty of those old Edgeworth tins. And he said "not like this one, it's full". The dealer had it priced at $25. And said I could have it for $20. I didn't even ask for a discount I was so surprised to see it was full.
I am not certain of the age though. Just because it had a blue paper federal tax stamp from 1926 that same stamp may have been used for years.

I can see ya now driving your hand in to your pocket so fast to get a 20 that ya ripped the flesh off your knuckles. I know that's what I'd be doing.:lol!: 

docwatson said:
JKenP":2tkkfuo0 said:

It smacks of Lazarus.
:lol!: :lol!: 

Yes, it was brought back from the dead.

A friend owns an antique shop in Rockport, Maine and one of his dealers brought it in. I don't know where she acquired it. But I shall certainly try to find out. The tin had some slight rust on the outside but it was only surface and not rusted through at all. When my friend said he had something for me and brought out the tin I told him i have plenty of those old Edgeworth tins. And he said "not like this one, it's full".  The dealer had it priced at $25. And said I could have it for $20. I didn't even ask for a discount I was so surprised to see it was full.
I am not certain of the age though. Just because it had a blue paper federal tax stamp from 1926 that same stamp may have been used for years.

Doc.....After checking out some of the prices tinned tobaccy is getting on eBay, you may have just thrown away several hundred (or more) yankee dollars!!!! But I'll bet the Edgeworth smokes like a million $$$$$!!! FTRPLt

Ftrplt,
If it were Balkan Sobranie or a good English blend I would have sold it!!! I have seen the $$ that buyers are paying for that vintage leaf. But this Edgeworth was meant to be smoked by me. And yes, it smokes like a million $$.

WOW, Doc! That's gonna be one tasty smoke!

At the NYPC Summer BBQ/Picnic last month good friend John Besante brought a 1960's era unopened tin and shared it with all. It was heavenly! I've got some photos of the tin on our club website.

Enjoy it!

I agree with the others; great find and looking forward to the tasting notes!

docwatson":xdbqo5rd said:
Ftrplt,
If it were Balkan Sobranie or a good English blend I would have sold it!!! I have seen the $$ that buyers are paying for that vintage leaf. But this Edgeworth was meant to be smoked by me. And yes, it smokes like a million $$.
Enjoy every shred of it!! Once in a lifetime get!!! You da' man!!!!:cheers: FTRPLT

Finally got to taking some pictures of this vintage old tin showing how the tax stamp is actually under the closed lid which I found interesting. The stuff was packed so tight that I had to use some tweezers to get the first few strips of flake out of the tin. And yes, I am enjoying smoking this stuff, its got a good kick and plenty of earthy Burley flavor.
My first few bowls were enjoyed in the Tim Hynick Bark finished Dublin pipe. A great smoker from a little known maker.