Edgeworth Ready Rubbed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey422

Reaction score
Before I begin this review, I must give credit to Bob Runowski for telling me about this great old time blend. I hold Bob's tobacco opinions in the highest esteem and when he told me I should try ERRd, there was nothing else to do but send an order off to JR's.

ERRd comes in two forms, a pouch and a 14 oz. can. Bob assured me that the cans were better so that's what I ordered. After about a week it arrived and I eagerly opened it.

I'm not an expert on tobacco cuts so I don't know the exact term for the ERRd cut, but it packs very easily with either the gravity feed or pinch method. In the can it has an aroma of burley with slight chocolate overtones. I've heard a rumor that it's cased with chocolate but don't know if it's true. It lights easily with one match and needs a minimum of relights during the smoke. This would be a great tobacco for the beginning pipe smoker because of this.

The flavor of ERRd has a toasted nuttiness that compares favorably with the best premium burley blends that I have smoked. I can smoke this tobacco bowl after bowl without ever tiring of it. It smokes right down to the bottom of the bowl without leaving any dottle. My wife has not mentioned the room note so it must be OK.

Overall I would give ERRd my highest recommendation. When price if figured into the equation, it becomes even more appealing. I can buy a 14 oz. can at JR's for $19.95. Compare that to other bulks that are selling for $30+ a lb. If you like burley, you should give this one a try.

Smokey

Great review Smokey!

I totally agree that ERRd is a superb blend! It is a tobacco that delivers the total pipe tobacco experience in that IMHO it is a very three diminsional smoke.

Thanks for shring with us.

Smokey, ERR is a cube cut burley. I've always been somewhat partial to cube cut blends because of the ease in loading a pipe with them. I agree, it is one of the better burley blends. What I find surprising is that it is a Lane product and that it's not more widely available.

I just ordered another cube cut burley called Sugar Barrel from JR's. Ive read that it too is a pretty decent blend. We shall soon see.

Grampa Bill":wa2yp3si said:
...I just ordered another cube cut burley called Sugar Barrel from JR's. Ive read that it too is a pretty decent blend. We shall soon see.
I think that you'll enjoy the Sugar Barrel. It's really not as sweet or cased as the name suggests, and the cut is rougher than the standard Middleton product. Burns cleanly and evenly, too.

Natch":y4oi359l said:
GB, give us a quick review when you get the Sugar Barrel. I've also been "looking" at it for an alternative burley blend.

Natch
Will do.

Does anyone know the best place to get some Edgeworth RR? I am wanting to try some. Is it worth buying a whole tub?

-Jeff

A post like this gets me quite excited. Until I read the LANE word. Can you reassure me that

1. You have tried other Lane tobaccos
2. You really don't like them
3. ERR does not, in any way, taste anything like any other Lane product.

Quite frankly, a chocolately burley has my mouth watering. How would you rate the nic content?

1) I have tried other lane tobacco's

2I like one or two
3)ERR tasts like a pure burley with a very lite chocolaty nuttl overtones

It has a taste all its own
If you like pure burleys you will like it

Thanks Dave. Done a bit of snooping around in the meantime & yup, ERR comes with a serious reputation. I'm going straight in on the 12oz can.

By the way, which of the Lane tobaccos did you like? I've tried 3: RPL6, 1Q & BCA. Found them all dreadfull.

Muddler":cpg5jjpb said:
Thanks Dave. Done a bit of snooping around in the meantime & yup, ERR comes with a serious reputation. I'm going straight in on the 12oz can.

By the way, which of the Lane tobaccos did you like? I've tried 3: RPL6, 1Q & BCA. Found them all dreadfull.

My favs are

1Q-very light vanilla
TK6- The best cherry blend I have found
RHQ3-a nice fruity flavor

These are a nice change from my regular burleys

Dave":ajffwob8 said:
Muddler":ajffwob8 said:

My favs are

1Q-very light vanilla
TK6- The best cherry blend I have found
RHQ3-a nice fruity flavor

These are a nice change from my regular burleys

Dave, I'm with you on the TK6. Just a bit of cherry taste, never ghosted (or gunked up) any of my pipes, and never bit me.

Muddler, if you are a burley fan at all you are going to like ERR. It generally works best for me in a larger bowl. :pipe:

Well, I must thank everyone on this site for talking up EER!!!!! I have found the holy grail if you will. I am not going to review this blend again. There are hundrreds of reviews of this GREAT blend online already. I now enjoy this blend all day lond and have since bought four more tubs of this stuff. Between this and Carter Hall I am in pure bliss. I like to still smoke my high end tobaccos but this is perfect for my all day smoke.

-Jeff

J_Rock":n2qsh6sa said:
Well, I must thank everyone on this site for talking up EER!!!!! I have found the holy grail if you will. I am not going to review this blend again. There are hundrreds of reviews of this GREAT blend online already. I now enjoy this blend all day lond and have since bought four more tubs of this stuff. Between this and Carter Hall I am in pure bliss. I like to still smoke my high end tobaccos but this is perfect for my all day smoke.

-Jeff
You have crossed over Jeff!

You are no longer a tobacco elitist!

:lol!:

Justpipes":zfe80pqi said:
J_Rock":zfe80pqi said:

-Jeff
You have crossed over Jeff!

You are no longer a tobacco elitist!

:lol!:
Does that mean I have to sell my pipes and buy Dr. Grabows? Are you allowed to smoke OTC blends in a Ser Jacopo? :lol!:

Dave":26zf53qi said:
You dont have to have Grabows I do but

I smoke OTC's In Dunhills
Dave- How can you look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day? :lol!:

smokey422":vacb5fg0 said:
Before I begin this review, I must give credit to Bob Runowski for telling me about this great old time blend. I hold Bob's tobacco opinions in the highest esteem and when he told me I should try ERRd, there was nothing else to do but send an order off to JR's.

Smokey
A quick heads up smokey, Bob has also raised the question of availability of ERR with Lane discontinuing so many blends.

"For those of us who are dedicated ERRd smokers, this poses a problem. In the early '80s, Lane bought the rights to ERRd, and a number of other Larus products (Rum/maple, VIP, Holiday, et al). The 2006 Conwood pdf file lists ERRd, R/M, and VIP with both Lane and Conwood numbers. Lane had already cast off blends like Holiday and 4 Seasons before this sale. Since the development of that list, the actual Conwood site lists only Capt Black, SWR, and Smokers' Pride blends. Checking around w/ some of the e-tailers, JRs had over 300 tubs (no pouches) of ERRd, but CupOJoe's had none. Ries still had a number of tubs, but no specific number.

Conwood did not respond to any calls on the matter since Thursday. I would guess that we may be seeing the demise of this blend once the back-stock is gone. I am not an optimist about these issues."
:scratch: