Edgeworth Ready Rubbed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
I like the stuff a lot and would like to put some away for a rainy day. Is it ok to store the unopened cans? Does the blend age well? What is your experience with this?

Also, after opening the can, for how long does the blend stay good without turning to dust?

Wet Dottle":34xzo77t said:
I like the stuff a lot and would like to put some away for a rainy day. Is it ok to store the unopened cans? Does the blend age well? What is your experience with this?

Also, after opening the can, for how long does the blend stay good without turning to dust?
The big tin comes with a plastic lid, so why would you want to store it with the lid off? In any case, it takes me quite awhile to go through a tin and it stores just fine. Burley typically doesn't age in to the same degree as Virginia tobaccos, so it pretty much remains the same.

I smoke a lot of ERRd, about a tin every 4-5 weeks, and always keep a few tins in storage. The oldest tin that I have smoked of its current incarnation was about 1.5 years old; a little softer but nothing notable. I've had a bowl or two from the Larus Bros period and the tastes are a little sweeter, but still nothing remarkable in terms of aging.

morleysson":1sclkpa5 said:
I smoke a lot of ERRd, about a tin every 4-5 weeks, and always keep a few tins in storage. The oldest tin that I have smoked of its current incarnation was about 1.5 years old; a little softer but nothing notable. I've had a bowl or two from the Larus Bros period and the tastes are a little sweeter, but still nothing remarkable in terms of aging.
Thanks, Morleysson. My concern for long term storage is not aging. It is more not finding the tobacco turned to dry dust inside the cans in ten (or more) years time.

My other concern is: if I open a can to smoke now, I know that it is going to remain in use for at least a couple of months. I don't know if its qualities will remain intact after that time. I wonder if I should divide the contents among a few storage jars and use one jar at a time, or if that is unecessary and just use the original container directly...

[My other concern is: if I open a can to smoke now, I know that it is going to remain in use for at least a couple of months. I don't know if its qualities will remain intact after that time. I wonder if I should divide the contents among a few storage jars and use one jar at a time, or if that is unecessary and just use the original container directly...[/quote]

My experience has been that the opened can probably has around three months of normal use in it. After that, there may be some drying but the tobacco doesn't seem to go to dust. The original state of the tobacco is larger chunks, anyway, and seems to hold up better than a comparable amount of PA. You may want to transfer the can contents to 2 or 3 ziplock bags, in amounts of about 3-4 oz, and smoke from them. But, as I said, the operational life of the opened ERRd can si about three months.