Edward's Special Balkan

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Having started my pipe smoking years ago when the Edwards shops were more in the front so to speak of pipe smoking domesticaly along with the Tinderbox chain, I spent a few years smoking many of their blends/mixtures. They sold predominatly aro style of blends/mixtures but they did have one that really attracted me as I was getting into the English/Balkan style of smoke. It was called Special Balkan and I smoked it for several years alongside my 965 and 759 and really enjoyed it. They closed the store in Dallas back around when I went to cigars and off my pipes and recently finally picked up another 2 oz from the Ft. Collins, CO. Edwards. After a nice steak dinner with friends last night, I got home and loaded up one of my Beckler Meers, a medium sized Eagle Claw/Egg with some and lit her up! Before I give my impressions, here's what the folks in Ft. Collins say about it : "... half Latakia with three types of Virginia for a base, we add a touch of Burley and Turkish and Black Cavendish to round out this mixture". And folks they mean HALF Latakia !! :p
It lights well given it is a long ribbon cut style and stay's lit well through the whole bowl. From the first char, you get the full, smokey flavor of the Lat with just a hint of the spicy flavor of the Tutkish all the while there is a slight background sweetness from the Virginias which sort of smooth it all into a really nice, full well nuanced smoke! The Latakia is always present but not "in your face" as some Lat heavy 'bacs. And it adds just THE right smokey component to the other tobaccos to make this a VERY PLEASANT evening smoke! I personally would choose this over Nightcap now, and I've smoked it for years, and still will. As I said, it is a FULL, DEEP, Latakia dominant smoke and does have some Lady N punch to it but it's so well put together that it all WORKS ! I will be getting more of this to go with my Royal Blend. and Oriental#14. Just some impressions from an "ol fart" :p

Sounds like a good blend, especially since you like your Lat. Just for the heck of it, I might have to try that one sometime. While I prefer aro's, I do occasionally smoke EMP & 965, as well as some of the more natural tobacco blends (Virginia based).

Now do a 50/50 mix of this with 1-Q and you'll really have something! :mrgreen: