Effects of the Covid shutdown

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Between the covid shutdown, not being able to get to the gym, not being able to ride, and shoulder surgery I've managed to add about 20 lbs in the last year. I'm a pretty big guy anyway and ordinarily wouldn't notice a little extra weight. But it hit home today. Being pretty warm, close to 90, I decided to wear shorts to the store for shopping. Went to my dresser drawer with shorts and started pulling them out. Not a damn one would fit as in I could not button them. Last time I wore any of them I was around 205. Guess it's time to hit the gym again and cut back on food intake, i.e. diet. Sucks because I love to eat. Anyone else suffer similar negative effects from "the shutdown"?

The only thing covid really affected for me was my gym membership, but we ending up building a garage gym because of it. Plus I was still able to use gyms on post. Other than that the covid has not changed my life at all, still went to work everyday and not much was shut down here, even during the height of the pandemic.

Went to the doc 3 weeks ago myself +20 pounds from last year. All he prescribed me was 10,000 daily steps. I cut out my muched loved late nights snacks and down 6 of them already. Good luck.

Trying like heck to cut out snacks and binge eating. Wife is making good dinners, lots of salads, no starches, no bread, and I've cut alcohol consumption significantly. Really will feel better if I can drop 20 lbs.

Early in the pandemic, I dropped about 15 lbs. but gained it all back. I'm eating very carefully now and doing the intermittent fasting. On Tuesday and Thursday, I restrict myself to 500 calories each day. I eat a huge vegetable salad and a couple of boiled eggs twice a day. The weight is coming off slowly, but it is coming off. The other five days I'd guess I consume about 1500 calories a day.

Yep...cutting bread and potatoes help tremendously. My reward for Saturday morning is going to be biscuits, sausage and gravy. I keep flour tortillas in the fridge if I have a starch craving and make a chicken wrap with lettuce, tomato and onion. Just one will bloat you for the rest of the day.

Early in the pandemic, I dropped about 15 lbs. but gained it all back. I'm eating very carefully now and doing the intermittent fasting. On Tuesday and Thursday, I restrict myself to 500 calories each day. I eat a huge vegetable salad and a couple of boiled eggs twice a day. The weight is coming off slowly, but it is coming off. The other five days I'd guess I consume about 1500 calories a day.
Too bad I'm not young enough or in good enough shape to go back in the military. When I went through OCS I ate probably 6000 calories a day and still lost wt. In at 202, out at 191.

Got on the scale this morning. It read, "Get off of me!"
After age 75, I'm starting to think that weight loss only happens if you're sick. Who wants to be sick? Nobody!
So, if I have to carry a few extra pounds, it'll have to be. It's probably why elastic waist bands were invented.