EGG NOG

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick

Reaction score
Thats all I wanted to say.................
Well.

I love it and cant wait for this time of year to git me some.
We have 2 great dairies near by so I dont bother to make my own and I enjoy it with some Spiced Rum and a bit of Brandy.

Anyone else feel the same way ??

I actually only just discovered Eggnog a week ago. Before then, the opportunity to try it had never really arisen.

It is fantastic, spiced at night, and not so much durring the day (can't very well be drinking and be taking care of a newborn at the same time :face: ).

The other day I told my wife to buy some. She brought home a quart from the supermarket. I never had any bourbon in the house before, so this was going to be my first spiked 'nog. A little shot of Maker's Mark in there and - BAM!! - that was FANTASTIC. It's almost enough to prevent me from saying "Bah, Humbug!" to the whole lot of the holiday season.

-Andrew

I've drank it my whole life, but never with any alcohol in it. Tried it for the first time the other night with some capt. morgan in it. It was - meh. Didn't think of trying it with bourbon... that's next!

Justpipes":flca7vrz said:
A good shot of whiskey in homemade egg nog is hard to beat!
OK,,how about your best recipe for homemade eggnog,,,,,

replace that bourbon with a little Tangler Ridge Canadian Rye and your in Heaven.

Sidenote: If you drink it too fast in large volumes don't worry, tastes as good going down as it does coming up! :drunken:

mark":qu8sjv2h said:
Justpipes":qu8sjv2h said:
A good shot of whiskey in homemade egg nog is hard to beat!
OK,,how about your best recipe for homemade eggnog,,,,,
Jean's Homemade Eggnog (Jean was my mother and she passed this on to us)

1 package instant vanilla pudding, 3.4 oz
1/2 cup sugar
6 cups whole milk
4 eggs - 3 of them divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
nutmeg

Add sugar, pudding mix, a portion of the milk, 3 egg yokes and one whole egg, nutmeg to liking, stir or mix all well.
Add the remaining milk and vanilla extract.
Beat separated egg whites and add, sprinkle with more nutmeg if desired.
Pour into a glass with favorite spirits (Whiskey)

There you have Jean's Homemade Eggnog. A tradition that has been enjoyed by my family for as long as I can remember.

Well thanks,,,I'll have to give it a try,,,,basically the same as ours except we use whipping cream in place of pudding,,,Decent of you to give up the family recipe,,,,MERRY CHRISTMAS ,,,

Mark,
Thanks for sharing with us. This coming week I'll attempt to make your traditional recipe for the family up here in Maine. And will be thinking of You and Jean as we enjoy your recipe. Sounds Great.
:D :D

So.
I was too lazy to go to the grocery store last night but I HAD to have some nog.......
Googled and found an easy recipe:

4 eggs (separated)
4 cups milk
1- 5oz can evaporated milk
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Nutmeg and / or cinnamon to taste

whip up yolks for 5 - 10 minutes until it looks like butter
whip whites until you have stiff peaks
Combine milk(s), sugars and spices and beat a little at a time into yolks.
Fold whites into liquids.
Add booze of choice.
or not..................

Consume.

Making it is just too damn much work.
I'm real fond of our local dairy, Kleinpeter.
The only measuring I have to do is
half Nog, half Jack Daniel's. :cheers:

Made some of this last october to have it for thanksgiving and christmas.

Just used the bourbon, rum and brandy bottles to put it in. It's pretty gosh darn delicious. Use good brandy or cognac though, bad brandy flavor hampers the deliciousness. And it gets better with age, our last bottle only lasted about a month and a half, but it was the best.

Here's the recipe so you don't have to click, from chow.com:

INGREDIENTS
For the eggnog:

* 12 large eggs
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 quart (4 cups) whole milk
* 1 liter (about 4 cups) bourbon, such as Jim Beam
* 1/2 cup Myers’s dark rum
* 1/2 to 1 cup good Cognac or other brandy
* Pinch kosher salt
* 1 whole nutmeg

To serve (optional):

* 10 egg whites
* 1 1/2 cups heavy cream

1. Separate egg yolks and whites. (Reserve egg whites for another use, such as Egg-White Frittata with Shrimp, Tomato, and Spinach.) Combine yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl and whisk until well blended and creamy.
2. Add cream, milk, bourbon, rum, Cognac (use the good stuff), and salt, then stir.

3. Bottle it right away and refrigerate it until it’s ready. (An old liquor bottle works great, as do 22-ounce bail-top bottles, available in brewing supply stores. My grandfather keeps the eggnog in the garage for 3 weeks, stirring occasionally, then bottles it—but aging in the garage is not recommended because the temperature can fluctuate.)

4. It’s traditional to wrap the bottle in aluminum foil, shiny side out, together with a fresh nut of nutmeg tucked into the foil for grating later. Keep refrigerated for at least 3 weeks, or up to a year if you can.

To serve (optional):

1. I serve aged eggnog on the rocks with some freshly grated nutmeg on top. If you want to serve the eggnog in the traditional way, pour it into a punch bowl. In separate bowls, whip 10 egg whites and 1 1/2 cups heavy cream to soft peaks and fold them into the eggnog. Serve in punch cups, garnished with freshly grated nutmeg.

I tried the H&H Egg Nog pipe tobacco. Very nice; a Christmas-spice type blend.

But when someone asks, "What are you smoking?" how do you answer "Egg Nog" with a straight face?

Since there's an Egg Nog pipe tobacco it makes me wonder if there's a Buttermilk pipe tobacco. What do you think?