Electric Assisted Bicycles

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Anyone have one? Recommendations, please.
One of my friends paid $1700 for his on sale and had a lock box installed over the rear fender for a second battery. He says that by using the electric motor only to assist with pedaling, he can get 50 miles per battery. I can't imagine at my age I'd even think about riding for 50 miles. I see ads from Walmart for electric bikes for $600. I wonder what the difference is between the $1700 bike and the $600.

Hmmm...Haven't looked at these for quite a while. While stationed in Thailand, we had "hybrid" bikes that had electric motors charged by you peddling normally. Then by actuating a switch on the handlebar/s, the motor would take over while you continued to gently pedal to keep the motor fully charged. FWIW, FTRPLT

My neighbor had a cheaper model. It was basically a low-grade mountain bike with a battery. The battery was heavy enough that I felt it was under-braked. It had standard bicycle brakes, which I feel were not sufficient for the additional weight and powered 20-30MPH speeds. I only rode it a couple times up the street and back, though. The ones I've seen on youtube have smaller motorcycle wheels, or BIG mountain bike wheels, depending on how you want to look at them, much larger brake pads, and better brake systems than a standard bicycle. They sort of look like 70s and 80s minibikes without the motor. Not in height, but in width of the rims and tires. They are definitely not under $1500. I don't know what the mileage range is for any of them. They seem to be popular in California. I think they're street legal and don't have to be licensed.

If I were looking, I'd consider brake systems and weight of the battery. I don't believe it is good for longterm health of those batteries to sit in the cold for months, and if I had to cart the battery around the house, I wouldn't want to have to pick up a 50LB battery. Not sure if you can get around that, though. Just something I would keep in mind.

I also get the impression, and probably obvious, is the ability to pedal power is purely for when you run out of battery. Those bikes are HEAVY. You wouldn't want to get stuck pedaling them for very long.

Last edited:
Several folks around here have the gas powered ones. With the hills we have here the electric models just don't cut it. The few folks I bave talked to say they get over 100 miles per gallon depending on how much they rely on the assisted mode. Have no idea on cost.

Several folks around here have the gas powered ones. With the hills we have here the electric models just don't cut it. The few folks I bave talked to say they get over 100 miles per gallon depending on how much they rely on the assisted mode. Have no idea on cost.

There are lots of 2-stroke and 4-stroke kits available for about $200. You just have to have the knowledge to build the motorized bike from the kit. Amazon has many kits. Most of the kits have 80 cc motors; some 100 cc. In MN, over 49 cc and you'd require a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license and the bike would require vehicle registration as a motor vehicle. I have seen where people have used much larger engines from Harbor Freight (212 cc) to build gas powered fat tire bikes.

Glad I don't live in MN, lol. In AZ unless it is sold originally as a motor vehicle no additional licensing is required. There is a specific exemption however for golf carts. To be operated on a public street they have to be licensed and insured, same for quads.

If youre looking for economical id suggest Lectric. They re affordable, adequately powered, and have a lot of nice little upgrades (ie front suspension), rear rack, headlamp. Only downside is disc brakes rather than hydraulic brakes oh, but they still function fine for around town riding. Definitely not a vehicle for heavy off-road use, but trail riding is fine