Elk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Reaction score
Field & Stream section is a little too slow so I'm posting a recap of elk season. I was able to get the freezer filled early December :lol:

Elk are easy to find (generally) but not always easy to get to. These ones were about 1.5-2 miles away from the glassing spot and out in the wide open with no good way to get to them. All those little dots in the bottom clearing are elk and that clearing is probably 3/4 mile across:

In between those elk and where the picture was taken we were able to find a yearling bull and my good friend bagged his first elk:

A few days later I was able to get this bull. They get a lot bigger, this was on the young side of mature. Great times with family and friends:

Now the work starts. We were able to drive to my bull so got him out in one piece. Halving with the chain saw:

Pile of elk in the truck bed, ready to do some butchering:

Everybody helps, even the kids:

About ready for the freezer:

Of course tenderloin never makes it to the freezer:

Elk Wellington at Christmas:

Can't wait for next year :heart:

Nice and thanks for sharing! I wish I was taught to hunt :cry:

Thanks for sharing that. I noticed no scope on his rifle. Must have got quite close.

Elk Wellington for Christmas dinner,,,my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. :lol!:

mark":zae4w7yv said:
Thanks for sharing that. I noticed no scope on his rifle. Must have got quite close.

Elk Wellington for Christmas dinner,,,my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. :lol!:
120 yards. It's a pre-64 Winchester model 70, was his grandpa's hunting rifle. His dad never hunted and he wanted to kill his first elk with his grandpa's old rifle. He made it happen and it was special. I'm very happy for him, he's in it for the right reasons.

I'll be sure and get your invitation correct next time ;)

leacha":zae4w7yv said:
Nice and thanks for sharing! I wish I was taught to hunt
Do it. Find a mentor or do it yourself, it's worth it. Hunting is life. My buddy got that elk because he asked me to take him. He'd never hunted big game until he met me and asked if I'd take him and I'm glad I got to be a part of it.

Looks like a great time hunting, and congrats on the kill! Elk is my favorite game meat. I have had Elk, moose, caribou, big horn sheep and deer and Elk is superb!

A great post and so good to see all the family involved.

Couldn't imagine being on my belt buckle to get to the Elk in the first photo!

Blackhorse":g9n53mmu said:
Always nice to see kids raised to know that meat doesn't originate at the grocery store.
Yessir, it's an important concept to me.

Nice! We enjoyed some Elk steaks this year for the first time. My son-in-law bagged this one in Colorado with his father & brother.

12106778_10100133233840619_6458037811702844038_n.jpg

Elk is the tastiest of the big game!
For those long distance shots you need to get one of those 50 cal sniper rifles. Just as long as you don't have to 'hump' it in to the hunting area you should be good to go (G). It would be like calling in the artillery on those long distance elk!

Actually... I did recently buy a 338 Lapua but I don't think I'm gonna hunt it. It's a beast, humping it around would not be fun. Also I like pulling sneaks ;)