Ellery Queen.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Anybody here a fan of the 1970s Ellery Queen series starring Jim Hutton? This episode of Murder, She Wrote used a script meant for the Queen series, but wasn't filmed because boneheads at NBC canceled the show. You'll easily see which characters were Ellery, Inspector Queen and Simon Brimmer.

www.cooltvzion.pro/watch-murder-she-wrote-season-6-episode-3-s06e03-online3-free-v1-484

Thanks for the link! I haven't seen this show since it was on TV.

Walkman":hk5yz5lr said:
Thanks for the link!  I haven't seen this show since it was on TV.
Have you read any Ellery Queen stories? I'm not crazy about the early ones, but I greatly enjoyed the ones from the late 1930s on.

I read those books.

I also had a subscription to the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine back in the day.

Cerfer":pz2cv2es said:
I read those books.

I also had a subscription to the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine back in the day.
I had a subscription, too. I never could find the magazine on the stands, but when I bought a subscription in 1974, EQMM started appearing on two news stands in my area within two months. I always thought that was kind of funny.

Availability was always so unpredictable. There were so many magazines at one point, something I really miss. My subs (Hitchcock mag, too) were in '82-'84.

We lost a lot when magazine postage went sky high in the mid-2000's. I suppose the Internet would have killed everything off anyway, but one way these magazines stayed in business was that their postage rates were as low as the rates for catalogs.

I was at a bed and breakfast in Mansfield, MO (the Laura Ingalls House) with my daughter, and in the magazine bin was a magazine from the 1920's. So much text, so much to read. The only equivalent we have today is The New Yorker, at least in terms of the sheer number of words.

I was reading something on reddit about civility (it was a pipe thread about using salty language) and someone wrote an impassioned (and lengthy) defense for using four letter words. The reply from his opponent: ''Wall of Text.'' In other words, so many words were written that there was no need to reply. I happened to agree with the latter opponent, but the lack of engagement was bothersome. We live in a TL;DR world.

All of the above us just to say that EQ Magazine might not ever have produced Edgar Award worthy material, but it was entertaining, and it helped create attention spans and the virtue of concentration. I know I run the risk of becoming the curmudgeon who says, ''Back in my day, 140 characters wasn't a tweet, it was a Dickens novel!'' So be it.

Wall of text out.

I always enjoyed EQMM and Alfred Hitchcock's Magazine. Was never overly crazy about Michael Shayne Mysteries. I quit reading them when I went to college in '78 due to lack of money and time. But, EQMM had a bunch of very good writers. I'm glad it's still running. It's in its 77th year.

I had no idea! Thank you. I just bought a subscription for my daughter. And me.

I assumed that everything had gone kaput or the way of People Magazine (one paragraph of writing and eight photos).

Cerfer":hx2c9849 said:
I had no idea! Thank you. I just bought a subscription for my daughter. And me.

I assumed that everything had gone kaput or the way of People Magazine (one paragraph or writing and eight photos).
I'm happy to hear this. Please let me know what you think of the magazine when you get one.

Thanks for posting the links, Jim. I've read the books but only vaguely remember the TV shows. I'll be digging into those archives!

JimInks":oif1gzg4 said:
I found a fascinating article on Ellery Queen, though there are a couple factual errors: https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/117689/AkersJordan.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
The thesis readers were kind of slack about some of the writing. I would have required a few errors easily changed. (A decade between WWI & WWII? Nero Wolfe as the author? academics who don't know words like 'theatre' and 'pother' aren't misspellings? etc.). I also think that the 1975 Queen pilot movie was based on one of the stories. Despite such minor quibbling, it was a good thesis.

DrT999":zuafrnpi said:
JimInks":zuafrnpi said:
I found a fascinating article on Ellery Queen, though there are a couple factual errors: https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/117689/AkersJordan.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
The thesis readers were kind of slack about some of the writing.  I would have required a few errors easily changed. (A decade between WWI & WWII? Nero Wolfe as the author? academics who don't know words like 'theatre' and 'pother' aren't misspellings?  etc.).  I also think that the 1975 Queen pilot movie was based on one of the stories.  Despite such minor quibbling, it was a good thesis.
The errors you pointed out were distracting, and there were a few more, too. The writer was not a professional, but there is a bit of good info there. The Ellery Queen movie was based on "The Player on the Other Side" novel by EQ (and Ted Sturgeon).

JimInks":csz6h3e3 said:
DrT999":csz6h3e3 said:
JimInks":csz6h3e3 said:
The thesis readers were kind of slack about some of the writing.  I would have required a few errors easily changed. (A decade between WWI & WWII? Nero Wolfe as the author? academics who don't know words like 'theatre' and 'pother' aren't misspellings?  etc.).  I also think that the 1975 Queen pilot movie was based on one of the stories.  Despite such minor quibbling, it was a good thesis.
The errors you pointed out were distracting, and there were a few more, too. The writer was not a professional, but there is a bit of good info there. The Ellery Queen movie was based on "The Player on the Other Side" novel by EQ (and Ted Sturgeon).
Well, it was her MA thesis, and she still teaches part-time at UM-Flint and co-authored a book (on the Titanic). So, a professional writer? No (since few of us academics make even a large % of our living from writing). A professional? yep, researcher if nothing else. Granted, this was her 'qualifying' work, and we all make silly errors, which is why I blame the thesis readers for letting those I mentioned slip through.

Of course, as you say, still a lot of good info!