End of Tax Free Online Shopping

• Thread starter Deleted member 2386
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't have problem with this if states made it easy but I feel this will place an undue burden on small businesses.

I shop local as much as I can but buy from individuals online frequently. Much of the art, books, music I buy comes directly from the producers and I wonder what kind of headaches this will cause.

I'm a bit upset about it. This won't affect the big stores at all, but it will mean a lot for me. I now have to keep up with the different sales tax rates in all 50 states and municipalities, collect taxes from customers, and then remit them to the appropriate authorities. I doubt that there will be a centralized system to make things easier, or a convenient way to stay up to date with the ever fluctuating tax rates. This means I either spend an inordinate amount of time out of my schedule to make sure I comply with the many different laws, or hire a professional to do the work. Either way, I'm out time or money, the extent of which is unknown.

I don't mind being charged sales tax when I shop online. I think that the change was inevitable given the shifting economy. What I apparently don't understand is how the states have the Constitutional authority to regulate interstate commerce, a job traditionally reserved only to the federal government. Of course I also thought the federal government couldn't force an individual to purchase a product against their will (see Affordable Care Act), but I was wrong about that too.....

So, please accept my sincerest apologies whenever Blue Room Briars has to charge you guys sales tax if you buy a pipe from us. I wasn't my idea.

Ocelot55":512i02sm said:
I'm a bit upset about it. This won't affect the big stores at all, but it will mean a lot for me. I now have to keep up with the different sales tax rates in all 50 states and municipalities, collect taxes from customers, and then remit them to the appropriate authorities. I doubt that there will be a centralized system to make things easier, or a convenient way to stay up to date with the ever fluctuating tax rates. This means I either spend an inordinate amount of time out of my schedule to make sure I comply with the many different laws, or hire a professional to do the work. Either way, I'm out time or money, the extent of which is unknown.

I don't mind being charged sales tax when I shop online. I think that the change was inevitable given the shifting economy. What I apparently don't understand is how the states have the Constitutional authority to regulate interstate commerce, a job traditionally reserved only to the federal government. Of course I also thought the federal government couldn't force an individual to purchase a product against their will (see Affordable Care Act), but I was wrong about that too.....

So, please accept my sincerest apologies whenever Blue Room Briars has to charge you guys sales tax if you buy a pipe from us. I wasn't my idea.

You make some very good points, but until the Fedral govt. ie the two legilslative branches and the executive branch sign off on a national VAT tax to be used only on interstate commerce, this hodge podge of taxes and it's burden on all will continue. :twisted:

It’s of course worth noting that it was (mostly) the conservative justices who passed this, with the (mostly) liberal minority arguing that Congress should be regulating interstate commerce and not the courts. And then today the liberal justices blocked the police from accessing cell phone data without a warrant, something the conservative justices were all about. Funny how and when they decide to “protect” us from government overreach...

Also curious if there will be exemptions for small businesses like yourself, Jesse, versus the big boys like Smoking Pipes...hope so!

GrampaGrossbart":1tuu3ael said:
Also curious if there will be exemptions for small businesses like yourself, Jesse, versus the big boys like Smoking Pipes...hope so!
Problem is the exemptions will be different from state to state. Just another thing to keep up with...

Sounds like its complicated. A good solution would be a software algorithm so humans don't have to pencil it out.

GrampaGrossbart":6xx85sod said:
It’s of course worth noting that it was (mostly) the conservative justices who passed this, with the (mostly) liberal minority arguing that Congress should be regulating interstate commerce and not the courts. And then today the liberal justices blocked the police from accessing cell phone data without a warrant, something the conservative justices were all about. Funny how and when they decide to “protect” us from government overreach...
Regarding the cell phone data thing, I believe it’s just location data they are blocked from. The rest of your info is fair game I believe. Just a heads up to all of you with smart devices, don’t use biometrics to unlock your devices. Cops can force your thumb print and facial recognition but cannot compell you to diverge a PIN, FYI.

Ozark Wizard":ld2uicju said:
Sounds like its complicated. A good solution would be a software algorithm so humans don't have to pencil it out.

An even better solution would be not to have internet sales taxes. If this becomes law, it will effect everyone. This is very aggravating.

If y'all don't like the idea of other states grabbing your money when you buy online, you can sign the petition:

https://www.ebaymainstreet.com/petition/internet-sales-tax-buyers

newjok10.png

If they just collect the state sales tax (one rate), it will be somewhat simple. If all the local taxes (state plus county and city) are to be collected, it will be a nightmare.

Kept simple, it will level the playing field. No, I don't like taxes any more than you probably do. but it will be equitable.