Endeavour

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swhipple

Reaction score
I just started watching Endeavour on PBS and I'm really enjoying it. It's an English murder mystery set in and 1960's and it traces the roots of Inspector Morse as a young police constable.

One thing that surprised me about the show in these politically correct times is the fact that they show everyone smoking. I guess realism won out over correctness. Almost everyone smokes cigarettes, but Morse's boss, Fred Thursday smokes a pipe and his pipe makes at least one appearance in every episode I've seen so far.

Even without the pipe smoking it would be well worth watching.

+1:cheers: 

Good show - we watched the series when it was aired overe here earlier in the year.

Fraternally

Jers

I watched my second one last night. Not sure what the title was; I'll call it the case of the murdering housewife and give it all away.

I didn't think it is as good as the original Morse ones. The secondary plot concerning family in the above just didn't work for me. But it sure beats reality TV.

Great series. A younger Morris set in the sixties. My wife and I watch it each week. I immediately noticed all the smoking and scotch drinking. Gotta love Thurday and his pipe. There was a nice scene when he went to get his revolver out in the shed. There was a glimpse of his humble pipe rack filled with pipes. Interesting that Endeavour doesn't smoke but everyone else seems to :lol: . The Chief inspector reminds me of PB :lol: 

Actually, "The Inspector" reminds me more of Yak -- always instructing everyone on the right way the game must be played. ;)

This was the era that Yippies morphed into Yuppies with social awareness working impressionable ages instructing on the evils of smoking.  School drifted from the 3-R's and hasn't made it back.

Now we pipe smokers are the counter culture.  Maybe we should start wearing tie-dye.

It is interesting that PBS finds nostalgic value in Brit TV lauding the past with so many shows that represent class awareness on a network that otherwise condemns it vehemently.