English blends for a VaPer guy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
Looking for a few good English blends. Lately they are what I've really been craving and that's new for me. I'm going to blame the infamous Ozark Wizard for this recent development. :suspect:  I tend to lean towards the lighter English blends that are well balanced, mild, with slight sweetness or rather don't snuff out the Virginias... But I'm not opposed to a lat bomb, either.

Some I was considering:
GLP Maltese Falcon (how does this compare to Blackpoint?)
Kensington
McClelland Wilderness
Legends
Old Dog
Dunhill MM965

I've been checking TR.COM but any input from you guys is preferred.

Thanks, Nate

Dunhill Nightcap
GLP Quiet Nights

These both have Lat, Va, Oriental, and Perique in them. Very full. There are tons of Lat blends that have a little Perique in them, but these two I know quite well. They are very tasty to a VaPerphile like myself.

The Frog Morton's might serve you well. Try Lane's BS-005 and/or Spillman's Mixture as well. The various P&C "Match" blends might fill the bill for you also. :cheers: FTRPLT

English blends taste different to a lot of folks but, I personally like 965 more then a lot, that and Straus's Union Terminal (Not to be confused with Union Square which tastes like dry dirt to me and is NOT an English blend, that and it's made by that other guy). ;)

Yeah, 965 sounds really good. I'd also like to give Nightcap another go. Several years ago it was too much for me but that was right when I started smoking a pipe.

I was thinking the McClelland Lat blends might all fit nicely... I have one of the frog variations I should crack into.

As I recall it seemed that McC's 2020 had a dash of Latakia in it, and it's a rather light Balkany/English whatever...... It's a bulk, so you could probably pull off a sample from somewhere.

Sutliff's Court of St James. Vaper with a little latakia. Just enough to round it out.

You might give McC P.M. Pipe a try. It comes in bulk and SP has it on stock. :)

AJ

These are some good suggestions... And a lot of them are bulk, to boot.

Stopped at the B&M yesterday and got an ounce of Star of the East and I sampled MM965 while I was at the store... I liked the MM965. Kind of nutty, a little creamy, a little strong--plus side of medium, and a nice smokey flavor in there dancing about.

I thought the Star of the East was really exceptional! Right off the bat I noticed those red Virginia's and it provided a healthy dose of sour/sweet from the oriental Virginia combo... I thought the Latakia was evident, but didn't ever push the issue and lingered in the background till somewhere around the midway point. Very good, and something I think I'm going to buy a lot more of, when I put a big order in.

ftrplt":yp2ijfjx said:
SOTE is a mighty fine Latweed!!! You can't go wrong with it. Good stuff :) :) :cheers: FTRPLT
Absolutely right! It's a favorite of mine and one I keep plenty of in my cellar. You might also like English Oriental Supreme. It's PS blend that comes in bulk. :)

AJ

Thanks, AJ. They had English Luxury by PS... I guess different than Balkan Supreme. I almost bought the English Lux as well, but fig I would stick with one new Lat weed for the next couple weeks.

A Dunhill blend that doesn't get much smoking around here but is IMHO, EQUAL to 965 is their Durbar. Give it a try, it'll surprise ya !! :twisted: :twisted:

I thought I replied to this… guess not.

I'll second Sutliff Court of St. James/Voodoo. It may meet your English definition or not, either way its good.
IMG_20160716_153456432.jpg

55 tins and a couple of stragglers :D
(P&C clearance sale plus 20% off code)

leacha":vw0n2fzj said:

I'll second Sutliff Court of St. James/Voodoo. It may meet your English definition or not, either way its good.

:affraid: :affraid: :affraid:

leacha":p0qup2ea said:

Ya, that should see you out!

:shock:

Cheers,

RR