English Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT/VSG

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Although I've been buying north American pipe makers (Parks, Pohlman, R. Davis & Chheda) and one Italian (Cavicchi), I still love the traditional English shapes, too. Does anyone have any experience with Ashton (Bill Taylor) or Northern Briar (Ian Walker)?

I've seen the threads on Ferndown and Dunhill but didn't see anything on these two.

I have 2 Ashtons and also own Dunhills (60's and 70's) and Ferndowns. The Ashtons are the best smokers, IMHO. The others are very good, but the Ashtons are just that much better.

It's kind of funny because I like my older Dunhills a bit more because of the history and all of the Dunhill aire, but I'll openly admit that the Ashtons smoke better.

i have one ashton and one northern briar, both are great smokers and made well. iam walker the maker of northern briars was at the columbus ohio pipe show this year, he sure had some great looking pipes with him, he seemed like a quite reserved guy, and he was a pleasure to chat with.

chuck

The only English pipes that I have owned are Comoy's, Saseinis and Dunhills. All great smokers.

Have two Ashtons, both big (LX and XXX) bulldogs. I'm still breaking in the LX, but both are great smokers. Wish Bill would "chime in" on this board like he used to do over at Knox. FTRPLT

Ashtons are great pipes, but most of them are actually from frazed bowls. At least that's my understanding of it. I know he does turn some of them himself too. But how to tell the two apart is a mystery to me. I don't remember whether he oil cures his bowls. If my memory serves, he used to, but I'm not positive on that.

I have had a number of Astons, but gave them up. Maybe i'm just a pipe snob, or an elitist, but if I'm paying that much for a pipe, I want it to be all hand worked. His stemwork is fabulous.

I don't know much about Ian Walker. It seems like he's making a good pipe, but I've never had one. I'm sure others can give a much better description.

2792188249_d01c7c5817.jpg

I have one Northern Briars Pipe... An SF 2007 POY
Great smoker...

I'm a fan of traditional English shapes and English pipes. I have many Ashtons, they were my favorite pipes at one time. To me, they proved that a pipe doesn't need to be well engineered to be a good smoker. Tennons too short, straight pipes that don't pass a cleaner, draft hole out of alignement with the bottom of the bowl,... I have them all and they all smoke great.