Enough To Make A Grown Man Cry

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipemaker

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
62owlback.jpg

Mike

That would be about right if it were in Ounces of Gold not dollars. 85 cents for Balkan Sobranie :pale:

I was wondering the date of that advertisement. In 1962, I was a teenager working my first jobs. The minimum wage was in the area of 85 cents to 95 cents an hour in Nova Scotia, as I recall. So comparatively, it may not be far out.

-Paul

I'd like to order 8 oz of John Cotton for $2.80 please. :bounce: Ahhh,what the hell,make that 16 oz's....

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

To put prices in perspective, a pouch of "drugstore" tobacco was selling for around 20 cents back then.

Mike

To take that perspective a step further, according to the National average wage index, the average wage in 1962 was a little over $2 an hour and in 2006 was around $19 an hour. ($4,300 annual salary then vs $38,000 now, divided by a 2,000 hour a year workload). A tin of Dunhill tobacco then was an hours wage, now it's about half that (at least from many online E-tailers). So much for the good ol days :p

Buy em up now boys!! 8)

Even' All, I remember those prices at Ehrlich's too bad I didn't have any money then! Ken
Pacem en Forks in the ROAD!! :cry:

When I was young, I spent most of my money on booze, cars and women..... the rest I spent foolishly.

Mike

pipemaker2":89lbr3ev said:
When I was young, I spent most of my money on booze, cars and women..... the rest I spent foolishly.

Mike
I feel your pain!

Mark,

Glad to see you made it over here.
For once, I joined a forum before you did. :)

I worked in sales for RJ Reynolds in the late 60's, Carter Hall 8oz tins sold for $1.99. I don't know why I remember that but I do

Carlos...FWIW. I was still selling DH Standard Full in 1968 when I worked in a pipe&tobacco store. I could still buy it for a few years later. Don't remember exactly when, or why, DH quite making it. One of my all-time fav's!! FTRPLT

ftrplt":y7dq1us6 said:
Carlos...FWIW. I was still selling DH Standard Full in 1968 when I worked in a pipe&tobacco store. I could still buy it for a few years later. Don't remember exactly when, or why, DH quite making it. One of my all-time fav's!! FTRPLT

I would like to get a tin to try it out. Maybe one day.