Entering the exciting world of Snuff

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A fellow Pipe smoker introduced me to snuff a few weeks ago and I was immediately intrigued. So glad to have found an entire section about the topic on BoB. I took many of your suggestions and selected several small tins of various flavors. I stuck with Wilson's due to their popularity. I was intrigued by their sampler card of 12 small tins, but decided to pick my own. Here is my order from Mr Snuff:

1 x Wilsons Crumbs of Comfort 5g
1 x Wilsons Ice Lemon 5g
1 x Wilsons Jockey Club 5g
1 x Wilsons Rose of Sharrow 5g
1 x Wilsons Raspberry 5g
1 x Wilsons Vanilla 5g
1 x Wilsons SP Best 5g

Total cost with shipping was $21. Even though these are all small tins, I imagine that this will last quite a long time for me.

Welcome aboard, Illi. To BoB, the snuff world, and whatever else. Looks like a pretty good haul there. Fair warning: this Snuffbox section tends to go silent for months at a time. Keep posting, though, and someone will eventually reply. (Maybe even Kaiser) :lol: In the meantime, there's plenty of good reading here.

Nice haul Illi, and a couple of my favorites there. You can go wrong with Wilson's, unless you're looking for a big nicotine hit.

Yes a little snuff goes a long way, at least for me anyway.

Nice one!

Funny thing about WoS, I didn't open my first tin until two weeks ago: Tom Buck.

It might go silent, but it is great just the same. When I am not smoking a pipe I get a snoot full of snuff before I head into the woods to hunt (okay not full, but it wakes my butt up on those morning drives). Welcome to the wonderful world of snuff.

Snuff is good stuff. I have a few pounds randomly mixed in with all the pipe tobacco jars.

Okay, my order came in from Mr Snuff. I received 12 small tins and 2 the next size up. I already opened one, I chose my Wilsons of Sharon Rose, one of my medium size tins. I gave it a whirl and can tell you, I absolutely love this stuff. Too early to say that it's a favorite, as it's the only one I ever tried. But if the others are anywhere near as nice as this, I think I'm really going to like this stuff. I'm glad you all piqued my curiosity for snuff. Happy snuffing! :D

This is exciting Common Man. We ordered on the same day and you received your order in Georgia today. That means that my order should be reaching Texas within a day. Also, happy to hear your enthusiasm. I too ordered some Rose.

Illini Libertarian":05q33txe said:
This is exciting Common Man.  We ordered on the same day and you received your order in Georgia today.  That means that my order should be reaching Texas within a day.  Also, happy to hear your enthusiasm. I too ordered some Rose.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. It's kind of hard to be in a bad mood when you walk around smelling roses all day. :lol:

Sure enough, my order arrived with today's mail! I went straight for the Rose and would agree with common man that it is good stuff.

My question for all you snuff veterans is in regards to freshness. It seems to be important that it stays fresh, but does it need to be transferred to an airtight container? The Wilson's I ordered is in small 5g tins. Can it be stored successfully in the tin? Should I put the tape back on the tin to seal it? It doesn't seem worth the hassle to buy a bunch of jars considering that the stuff is so cheap. How long does it take before going bad?

Illini Libertarian":as1ed4gu said:
Sure enough, my order arrived with today's mail!  I went straight for the Rose and would agree with common man that it is good stuff.

My question for all you snuff veterans is in regards to freshness.  It seems to be important that it stays fresh, but does it need to be transferred to an airtight container?  The Wilson's I ordered is in small 5g tins.  Can it be stored successfully in the tin?  Should I put the tape back on the tin to seal it?  It doesn't seem worth the hassle to buy a bunch of jars considering that the stuff is so cheap.  How long does it take before going bad?
What you could do is placed the closed tins inside of jars, matching likes with likes (keeping menthols/mints away from fruits, etc...). In the end bad could mean: mold or loss of scent. If loss of scent and the base is good, you're still good. If mold - toss it.

Some small batch types can mold due to their ingredients (Abraxas, SWS, Old Mill, DeK). These manufacturers recommend refrigerating to prevent spoilage.

Personally, I don't. My climate is mild.

Illini Libertarian":4k9r33mr said:
....Can it be stored successfully in the tin? ...How long does it take before going bad?
Short answer, yes it can. Gravel's example of sealing like flavored tins together in a jar is spot on.

On their own, some manufacturers tins are superior to others. Toque's and F&T's screw top tins are the best for stand alone storage. WoS and Gawith tins, as well as Bernard and Gawith tap boxes are quite inferior.

As an alternative to cramming the WoS tins in jars, I vacuum seal each individual tin in a sealer bag using my Food Saver unit and I open them as desired..

gravel":zqmn60k3 said:
Nice one!

Funny thing about WoS, I didn't open my first tin until two weeks ago: Tom Buck.
The only problem with that is there's no where to go but down. For me, TB is THE VERY BEST that WoS has to offer (which is not to say that Wilson's doesn't make other solid snuffs...TB is just that good).